Thread: Everything Alto Horns

Everything Alto Horns

Our brass band has had a long standing shortage in alto horns, and our director queried the euphonium section (which has 2 extras) if there was any interest in moving over. The idea is not appealing to me at first glance, but I realized I know next to nothing about this instrument, other than it attracts alot of french horn players, and it is pitched in Eb. A couple of questions:

Can you use a small shank trombone mouthpiece in alto horn? I absolutely would not think of using the 19ish mm rims that seem popular with alto horns, but what size is the mouthpiece receiver? If it accomodates small shank trombone mouthpieces, I may think again.
    What about the fingerings? I have always heard that the beauty of the brass band system is the ability to interchange players with great ease. So, if you see a third space treble clef C (concert Bb), an Eb would come out of the instrument, but it would be fingered the same as a concert Bb Iin other words, open), correct? Any other thoughts about this would be appreciated. This would be a huge challenge for me also, as although I read Bb treble fluently, I read it like tenor clef, and add two flats to the key signature...so I can stay in concert pitch mentally, as I'm a bass clef native.

I probably won't go for this, but I'd just like to learn more.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Everything Alto Horns

I'm not sure if a small trombone mp would fit - I tend to think not. It certainly would not give you the desired alto sound.

All the treble clef instruments in brass band notation can be played with the same fingerings. You see a 3rd-space C, you play it open. You're correct - that is the beauty of their system. It is fairly common for players to move downward in instrument as they age.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Everything Alto Horns

Our solo tenor horn player in the New England Brass Band is a young man who is a fine euphonium player. He plays the tenor horn quite nicely and sounds great on it, but has had a couple of years to get used to it. He chose to play solo horn rather than 1st baritone (which I play) since it gave him more opportunity to shine. However, he is also young and probably more able to transition up or down in mouthpiece size. I did this by switching from Euphonium to trumpet in my senior year in the Cal Band. As I near age 60, there is no way I could blow a trumpet these days.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Everything Alto Horns

I just recently purchased a solo alto horn and a Bach A3 alto mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is very similar to a small trombone mouthpiece, 19.75 mm inner rim diameter with a deep "V" cup. I find it the most comfortable mouthpiece I've ever played. The shank is specifically designed for the alto horn.

You can check out the mouthpiece and shank dimensions at the Bach manual:

http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/A...ch%20Mpce%20Manual.pdf