Thread: Venting euphonium valves

Venting euphonium valves

I sat in on Matt Walter's lecture at last year's Army conference, and he talked about some of the benefits of venting valves. And a recent thread on venting came up on Tubenet. My question for you guys is have any of you ever vented your euphonium valves? It would seem to me that the smaller diameter tubing and the decreased length would make euphs less prone to the pressure differential which the venting is supposed to eliminate, but I think we have all heard the popping sound if you haven't depressed a valve in some time. I can't say that I've ever noticed the pressure differential when playing slurred passages, and if there was a blip, I would have blamed it on my own poor technique.

- Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

2. Venting euphonium valves

Never heard of it on euph... sounds like a trumpeter's excuse :þ

Venting euphonium valves

I haven't vented my euph valves, but I do occasionally vent AT them.

Venting euphonium valves

The Miraphone 5050 comes with vented valves, but I have not noticed a difference in action between its valves and other pro quality instrument valves.

John

Venting euphonium valves

Hi Scott,

I've noticed some popping sounds when playing slurred passages... especially in a quiet room with a low ceiling. It seems to get better after the horn is completely warmed up. I've inquired about having my valves vented, but no one I've asked has ever heard of getting this done on a euph.

I seem to remember hearing that the euph soloist for Dallas Winds his vented, but that was some time ago and possibly not relevant any longer.

So, the Miraphone 5050 comes with vented valves eh? That's another reason the 5050 is atop my wish list.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Venting euphonium valves

Rick,

Demondrae Thurman had his valved vented on his Besson 2051 when he was still with Besson. I believe he had Matt Walters at Dillon do it for him. Doesn't cost much at all, just getting the horn to them, either taking it or shipping it. I believe it's something cheap, like $15 per valve or something. He swore by the results and difference on his Besson at that time, which lead him to have it done as standard on the Miraphone 5050 models now. So, you can have any euphonium's valved vented.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Venting euphonium valves

I just got a little-used Yamaha YEP 321. It's pretty much pristine. When you push a slide in and press the valve, there's a very satisfying POP as the pressure equalizes.

Unfortunately, on the 1st and 2nd valves there also seems to be pressure building up inside the valve casing above or below the valve that eventually prevents the valve from springing back - they just rather lazily rise. This isn't constant; most of the time, they're responsive. But after playing a longer passage, especially if I'm trying to play softly and have a bit of slurring, the valves get slow. Doesn't matter whether they're freshly lubricated or not, or whether the horn and I are fully warmed up - I've tried all the permutations.

Anyone familiar with this? The seller (a retired engineer and long-time player) said in his conversations with Yamaha, they said that the horn must have been made at the tight end of their tolerances and that as it wore in, this wouldn't happen.

So vent the valves? Have them lapped? Just be patient? (except it messes with my playing). Head to Baltimore Brass?

Stuart Kern

Silver Spring, MD

Venting euphonium valves

Stuart,

Is there a wick-lined water catcher attached to the bottom of the valves, or do you keep a cloth under them? If the bottom holes get blocked you could experience what you describe.

I have had variable speed issue arise when I was using synthetic oil. I use a lot of air, and the condensation did not mix well with the oil.

Venting would not help at all, as far as I can tell from here.

On some horns if you start hugging it tightly or squeezing your hand around the valve slides, it could cause this. But 321's are usually built sturdily enough that it would not happen.

Before taking it to the shop, make sure it is really clean inside. Before each practice (while you are breaking it in) take each valve out, clean the inside of the casing and the outside of the piston, and clean all the passages through the valves.

AND examine the pistons carefully to make sure the bottom hole and top vent hole are free. Sometimes people put in large felt washing on the top, for example, and block the vent hole. Wanna see what that would do? While the valves are working well, cover the bottom hole of one and then see how it works. So keeping the holes open is quite important.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Venting euphonium valves

Gave the valves a thorough cleaning before practicing. Cleaned the pistons and casings with a citrus cleanser, paying close attention to the guide slots in the casing. Seemed to do the trick, and today's practice was good, too.

Many thanks!

Stuart

The Wessex Duplex has vented valves. However, I haven’t had a chance to play it yet.