Thread: Finding Orchestral Gigs

Finding Orchestral Gigs

Hey all,

I was wondering what the general procedure was when orchestras need a euphonium for a concert. Do they post an announcement and hold auditions, or do they just tell the tuba (or trombone) accessory to play euphonium for that certain piece.

Also, if any of you have played in an orchestra for a gig, how much did it pay?

-John

Finding Orchestral Gigs

I have not seen a case where auditions are opened/held, but I suppose it is possible.

More likely is that a euphonium player's abilities are already know to an orchestra member and they are contracted directly. Because the "pick-up players" have no obligation before being contracted per gig and may already have other obligations, orchestras will normally want to have a few names to call if the need arises.

In my area, and by my reckoning, there are several players who could answer the call for the Minnesota Orchestra. I have been called a few times, but there have probably been opportunities that went to someone else for one reason or another.

Pay is generally union scale, figured on the number of rehearsals and performances.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Finding Orchestral Gigs

I actually work for an orchestra, so I can help a bit. Sadly, it is just a matter of who knows you. The orchestra I work for have a few euphoniums that they work with. Only one of them is an actual euphonium. The other 2 are trombone players who double, and one sounds rank. It's more than obvious that he's a trombone player. The problem is that trombone players are typically not aware of their tone and orchestral administration really don't know what to look for. There's my rant.

The 2 trombone players have their euphonium gigs because they know the trombone players in the orchestra. We have one actual euphonium player because I took the time to explain the difference. Horn players have the same set up. I know one player that got in as a reserve horn because he took the time to schmooze and play a few rounds of golf with members of the section.

So, if you know a few low brass players in your local orchestra, you may take the time to see if they have any weekend plans.

Finding Orchestral Gigs

How do musician's unions work?

Finding Orchestral Gigs

Originally posted by: DelVento

How do musician's unions work?
    In my cynical moments, I'm inclined to say they work very poorly for musicians, but very well for union officials.

Here's a discussion from TubeNet of the pros and cons of belonging to a musicians' union.

Also, to the question of finding orchestral gigs, see this thread. Although the presenting question concerns with subbing, the counsel applies equally to extras. The only point I would disagree with slightly is the necessity of joining the Musicians' Union if you live/work in a right-to-work state AND the local orchestra's CBA does not require subs or extras to belong to the union, since union membership could be detrimental if the union pay scale is significantly higher than non-union scale.

6. Finding Orchestral Gigs

When the San Francisco Symphony did Holst's The Planets, the 2nd trombonist played euphonium, and the ex-first trombonist came in to play second. His tone was mid-way between a trombone and a euphonium, but that was pretty much the only thing I could complain about.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

7. Finding Orchestral Gigs

I'd agree with the fact that i's who knows you, but it's also who YOU know. My lessons professor, Scott Landry, is the principal tuba of the Acadiana Symphony Orchestra. I went up to him and asked him last semester, "Hey Scott, if ASO is playing something that needs a euph, could you let me know?" Without wasting a second, he said, "Planets, next semester. I'm going to give you my copy of the tenor tuba part I got many years ago." So I've been practicing that. Keep in touch with the personnel manager of the orchestra, stay on good terms, because hey, if you do a good enough job, they might call you back.