Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miraphone 1258

Miraphone 1258

Would be interested in any comments on this horn by people who have played it or own it. The smaller bell on much the same chassis as my Miraphone 5050 intrigues me, especially because it is a big bore horn.

John

Miraphone 1258

John,

I have a Miraphone 1258A in lacquer, purchased from WWBW in October 2006.

My euph-playing days started at the relatively late age of 55. I started out with several typical used Conn and King three-valve American-style "bariphones".

I soon made the big jump from the .570" bore baritones to the .610/.638" bore of the Miraphone, which was a shocker. My lungs were not prepared for the volume of air required by the Miraphone.

The clean, pure timbre of the Miraphone is quite impressive compared to the small-bore, non-compensating baritones. The horn is a true tenor tuba in all respects. It is remarkably responsive for players with the necessary lung capacity, but that response in unforgiving for someone like me with poor practice habits. Intonation is remarkably close to Dave Werden's intonation charts on the Custom Music website. Third partial (concert F3) is 15-17 cents sharp when played open, so I always use the fourth valve for both F3 and F4. My mouthpiece of choice has been a Bach Megatone 5G. Valves are lightning fast, but took me over a year to get them broken-in properly, and only then after having the valves lapped.

Right after I bought the 1258, Miraphone introduced the M5000, which was the first iteration in refinements leading up to the 5050. The M5000 had ergonomic enhancements which were supposed to make the fourth-valve grip easier.

I continually fought tendinitis in my left elbow, and I think the fourth-valve grip angle was partially to blame. I play almost exclusively standing up. Every time I got in a few weeks of solid practice on the Miraphone, my tendinitis would flare up. Of course, I was also averaging 3,000 mouse clicks a day at work with the left hand. Now, I now longer use the left hand for mouse clicks, reserving it for fourth-valve action and horn support. I also now have a reliable shoulder strap arrangement to take the load off my left arm.

About a year ago I picked up a 1979 B&H Imperial with an 11" bell, very similar to today's Besson 968. The tighter wrap, smaller bell, and smaller bore are much easier for me to handle, both in wind power and ergonomics. The shoulder strap works even better with B&H. I am coming back from a three month layoff from playing due to parental health-care duties, and I would not even think of trying to play the Miraphone right now. I can do OK in the middle ranges of the B&H even after the layoff. After about a month playing the B&H, I may be ready to try the Miraphone again.

I will probably post the Miraphone for sale here on the forum after the holidays.
    Outstanding horn, but this player just doesn't have the power and chops do it justice.

Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

Miraphone 1258

My son played the 1258 against all four new model Bessons, the two Yamahas and Willsons and his New Standard. Right now the choice is betweena Miraphone (once he tries the 5050) and the Bessons. We really liked the sound of the 1258 and he liked the feel as well (of course he does have youth on his side :-)) Mu gut feeling is that he will go for the 5050 based on the fact that the 1258 really held it's own sound-wise against the Bessons and the rep the 5050 has in responsiveness.

neil

Miraphone 1258

Thanks. It interests me because I am now playing in a new group of 14 brass musicians. We play both the British brass rep and the brass choir rep, plus some swing & jazz charts. I love my 5050 but it can be a bit big sounding for this ensemble, so the smaller belled horn might give me the Miraphone qualities I like with a more compact sound. I would keep the 5050 for the large ensemble work and use the other horn for small ensemble.

Luckily, my tendinitis is all in my right hand!

I might be interested in your 1258, Bruce. Just let me know if you decide to sell it.

John

Miraphone 1258

John,

I have been playing a 1258a for several years and love the horn. Nice big sound and as Bruce said, "lightening fast valves" once they are broken in.

I too have the problem with 4th valve set up on this horn due to an injury years ago to my left wrist, no surgery needed, but still a problem. A friend brought their new 5050 to me and let me play it on a 2 hour program a couple of weeks ago and I immediately noticed the 4th valve set up is a better reach and "not in a bind". Also the 5050 is not as heavy.

I did not notice a difference in regards to the bell size as far as the sound but I did notice how easily the 5050 played. Doing intervals and runs, the notes seemed to fall into the slots. As you said in another post, the horn plays itself.

I have had a problem with the 4th valve tuning slide on the 1258 being pushed out of alignment by the left forearm when standing and holding the horn. This put pressure on the 1st valve casing causing the valve to slow in both directions. This was eliminated by replacing the brace with a heavier one.

Since you have already grown third lung from playing the 5050 you will like the 1258. I would get rid of mine only to buy a 5050!

Bruce,

I would be interested in hearing what type of strap set up you are using.

Fletch

Miraphone 1258

John,

I have just finished giving the Miraphone 1258 another month of serious practice, and the left elbow tendinitis keeps coming back. Ergonomics, tighter wrap, and balance of my 1979 B&H Imperial are much easier for me to handle. I may even have to go back to my Conn 22-I front-action baritone with a shoulder strap to completely eliminate left-arm stress for a while.

Your profile is blocked, so I can't email you directly. If you want to conduct an extended side-by-side test of the 1258 against your 5050, let me know. I have no urgent need to sell it, and would like to see an objective comparison for the benefit of the forum.

Edit *email snipped* bhw

Fletch: I will post some photos of the shoulder strap arrangement soon.
    Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

Miraphone 1258

My understanding is that the Ambassador 5000 is pretty much the same horn as the 1258 with some minor design tweaks. This is one of the issues taken care of in the 5000. That said, I've never seen or heard the 5000. When my son tested the 1258 I don't think he commented on the reach or positioning.

He did mention the other day that owning the 1258 with the smaller bell along with the 5050 would be neat. Having just received and paid the credit card bill that contained the 5050 and 6 months college tuition charges I just started laughing hysterically into the phone.

Miraphone 1258

Thanks Bruce, I'll keep my eyes open for those photos. Your set up may help me out also.

Fletch

Miraphone 1258

Originally posted by: Euphdad
    He did mention the other day that owning the 1258 with the smaller bell along with the 5050 would be neat. Having just received and paid the credit card bill that contained the 5050 and 6 months college tuition charges I just started laughing hysterically into the phone.
    Tell him to click here.

Miraphone 1258

Email sent. Cool address.

I really sympathize with your tendonitis. I have some which I can't shake, unless I were to give up the horn for a few months as the therapists suggest.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast