Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or York? Or all of them???

1. Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or York? Or all of them???

I'm a senior in high school on a 321. Not by any means wealthy. I'm really wanting to upgrade my euphonium just once, skipping the "3rd degree" sub-professional stage (like maybe Miraphone? or Meinl Weston) for financial reasons. I like the 321's feel for the most part, and the brightness I can deal with when I have my gold 51d. I am really annoyed that I can't play anything in tune, especially in the lower register, without considerable trouble on my part. I used to noodle around with my teacher's awesome Willson and was more confortable with the compensating deal, but not with the overall feel of wind passage and tone production. I went to WWBW to sample a few and played an 842, Presteige, and Sovereign. (twas a short visit)... I liked the feel and sound of the Yamaha, but was really impressed by the darkness of this amazing Besson. Is this a correct assessment? And I also noticed that the Besson's 2nd slide was a little longer, making "A" out of tune and thus not condusive for playing songs in F or A especially. Then I noticed that David Childs plays a York and is super dark and playing really fast.

I will probably play most as a soloist, worship band euph player, and trying jazz and pop background at some point. Do I want bright, dark, or in the middle? Which one of the "big 4" has the sound I'm looking for?

Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or York? Or all of them???

The specs of all the euphs you mentioned are published and readily available on the 'Net. You could easily have Googled them in less time than it took you to write your post.

I suggest you do some research before you write off Miraphone and Meinl-Weston as "sub-professional." Look up Öystein Baadsvik, Ben Pierce, Joe Murphy, Mark Carlson, Mike Forbes, Demondrae Thurman, Velvet Brown, Jens Björn-Larsen, Matt Tropman, Alan Baer, Jeff Funderburk, John Sass, and Warren Deck - all of whom are either Miraphone or Meinl-Weston artists - on Youtube. The fact that you are not familiar with those brands does not make them "sub-professional" instruments.

3. Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or York? Or all of them???

Ok, good point, but a friend of mine thought she had gotten a great deal on Meinl Weston's top horn, but was told recently that she needed to get a better one for college- is that just because her next director has bought stock in Willson? I totally don't want to go half-way on this purchase.

Originally posted by: euphonium44 Ok, good point, but a friend of mine thought she had gotten a great deal on Meinl Weston's top horn, but was told recently that she needed to get a better one for college- is that just because her next director has bought stock in Willson? I totally don't want to go half-way on this purchase.
    Lots of different ways to look at this. Maybe your friend's teacher recommends her playing a Willson because it fits her better, or she sounds better on it, or some other good reason. Maybe it has nothing to do with whether her director has stock in Willson.

If you don't want to go "half-way" on your purchase, I'd suggest you do what fsung recommends - do your research (part of which is happening here on these pages), get out and try some horns consulting your own teacher or knowledgeable individuals in real time.

There's only so much research you can do on the web. You have to get out there and try out as many horns as you can get your hands on, then make an informed decision that way.

Dave Werden has a great resource in "how to shop for a horn". Suggest you look that up as well.

Good luck!

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

FWIW: The article is here:

Choosing a Euphonium

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I can certainly answer to the Miraphone part of the equation. When my son tested euphs a few weeks ago, the Miraphone 1258 (which I believe is out of manufacture and the precursor to the Miraphone Ambassador M5000) held up very well against the Bessons in tone and sound. It was certainly on par with the sovereigns and gave the prestiges a run for their money. My son had decided that he won't make a choice until he plays the Miraphone 5050 (the Demondrae Thurman horn) because the "lesser" Miraphone 1258 was that good.

7. Besson, Willson, Yamaha, or York? Or all of them???

It sounds pretty cliche, but you can't go wrong with the Yamaha 642 as a comp upgrade to a 321. Well made horns and there are enough for sale on the market that you can find a good price on a decent used one. If you're on a budget, you won't likely find a bargain price on a Wilson. You can get several options in the $3k range (Yamaha 642, Besson 967 or 968, Meinl Weston 451).

I played a friend's Miraphone 1258 once, it was a nice horn. Big sound.

To piggyback on Bluephonium's points, see the thread on the 642 if you haven't already done so.

I'll just note that if you were "really impressed by the darkness of this amazing Besson," the Prestige might be the horn for you.

John

I own a Besson Prestige and the sound is amazing. It is also works well mechanically. The valves are the best, the tuning slides fit great, it is the best horn I have ever played. If you want to save some cash the 967 and 968 are also great horns. Just try them all and do not have horn bias when you try them. Good luck with finding your dream horn.

James
    James Long
    Besson 2052
    SM3U
    Falcone Finalist
    Oakland University Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast