Thread: No Rim On the Bell

No Rim On the Bell

On the raw brass thread, Dave posted a comment about a Sterling option "which has no rim on the bell - that has really nice response but a brighter sound."

That interests me. In one of those weird convergences, in a rehearsal last night I was sitting next to a old timer, a tuba player who had been doing some fine jazz improv to a Stan Kenton chart (somehow I find myself playing Kenton Xmas charts on euphonium!). In any case, we were talking about jazz euphonium, and he said pointing to my 5050 "take that bead off your bell and the horn will really smoke."

Hmm.

Has anyone tried that Sterling option? And short of going to England, is there any way to play such a beast?

I'm interested.

John

No Rim On the Bell

Originally posted by: JTJ On the raw brass thread, Dave posted a comment about a Sterling option "which has no rim on the bell - that has really nice response but a brighter sound." That interests me. In one of those weird convergences, in a rehearsal last night I was sitting next to a old timer, a tuba player who had been doing some fine jazz improv to a Stan Kenton chart (somehow I find myself playing Kenton Xmas charts on euphonium!). In any case, we were talking about jazz euphonium, and he said pointing to my 5050 "take that bead off your bell and the horn will really smoke." Hmm. Has anyone tried that Sterling option? And short of going to England, is there any way to play such a beast? I'm interested. John
    At the NABBA competition back in April, Custom Music brought along their demo model with a beadless rim. Just for grins, I played on the horn for awhile.

In a room full of hornhonkers, all of whom were doing their level best to flatten the walls, I could not get a real sense of "sizzle". I thought the horn played not terribly different from the 300 mm heavy rose brass bell that I had been evaluating (and eventually bought).

Unless you're a soloist and are going to play nothing but studio gigs with a bunch of voiceovers (meaning not playing much with other live musicians), I can see some real problems in just keeping the horn relatively undamaged. The bead around the bell offers a level of protection to the rim that should not be discounted.

For my money, the beadless model just isn't worth the hype. YMMV.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

No Rim On the Bell

I have had a chance to play one a couple times and listen to others play it. First, it retains much of the Sterling qualities, with the following exceptions:

- Sound is a bit brighter and punchier. I think it would still carry well from in front of the band. What you might lose in ultimate size/power because of the lack of a bead, you would probably gain back because of the little extra brightness.

- The response seems quite a lot quicker. That's probably its coolest feature.

- Repairs: probably more likely with this bell, but almost certainly much easier to perform vs. a beaded bell. If the edge gets bent it can be rolled back handily. But with a bead in place there is no easy way to get it nicely back in shape.

I believe Custom usually brings this model to shows when they have it in stock. You might check with them if there is an event coming up (Army Conf.) where you will attend. Or you could probably get a trial on one.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. No Rim On the Bell

I tried the beadless horn in the summer of 2008 when I was in Beeston, UK at the "factory". The antithesis of the beadless horn was the "Yorkshire Rose". Where the beadless horn has a flexible, bright bell, the Yorkshire Rose bell was so heavy and stiff that I could not feel it vibrating against my body at all!

I could tell quite a bit of difference between the beadless bell and the 300mm heavy red brass that I ultimately ended up purchasing.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

No Rim On the Bell

John,

Custom Music has a demo rimless bell Virtuoso (dubbed "Excalibur") that they've shown at various conferences. They'll have it at TUSABTEC in Jan and NABBA in April so you should be able to try it there (provided, of course, that it hasn't been sold prior to that), but you may be able to order it on trial.

I had the good fortune of assisting at the Custom Music booth during TUSABTEC earlier this year, which afforded me the opportunity to spend a couple of hours playing it over two days, including 20 min on Sat morning before the displays opened to the public, as well get feedback from players who tried it.

My own impression is that the Excalibur has a noticeably faster and more facile response than either my Virtuoso or the other rimmed belled Virtuosos Custom Music had on display and a noticeable "bite" to the sound. I also thought that the Excalibur slotted more securely in the upper register than any other euph I've tested.

By far, the most common response I heard from players who tried the Excalibur was "Wow!" Several of the Army Ceremonial Band, Army Field Band, and Marine Band euphonimists who tried the Excalibur during the conference commented on the quick, even response and characterized the sound as "lively" and "hot."

The rimless bell may be more susceptible to damage than the tradition, rolled over bell, but as Dave points out, it would also be much easier to repair than a rolled over bell if it were damaged.

Felix.

No Rim On the Bell

Thanks to all! After reading your responses, I have to give a rimless horn a try.

John

7. No Rim On the Bell

Originally posted by: davewerden
    - Repairs: probably more likely with this bell, but almost certainly much easier to perform vs. a beaded bell. If the edge gets bent it can be rolled back handily. But with a bead in place there is no easy way to get it nicely back in shape.
    I'd have to disagree on the second part.
    The severity would be worse, allowing for more shearing force resulting in a higher risk of tearing. Continued dents and repairs will stretch the metal causing more trouble in rounding it out well.

A Beaded rim is a great thing for making a horn last and would be easier to repair.