Thread: A really flat 642

A really flat 642

A section mate called me yesterday afternoon to ask if I knew of anyone who could loan him a horn for our concert that night. I asked him what's wrong with his Yamaha 642? He said, "It's playing really flat... my wife ran over it with the car." Yikes!!

He said he was loading things into the car to run errands on the way to our concert. He set his horn down in the garage next to his car (where his wife normally parks I guess) and went back inside to get something. While he was inside the house, his wife returned home and pressed the remote to open the garage door and pulled in. Not seeing the horn setting there (sun in her eyes maybe?), she ran over it. His 642 was only about 2 or 3 years old and he's been really careful keeping it spotless. It's a real shame, but I'm pretty sure it can be fixed. The bell is badly crumpled and lead-pipe is bent. The valves still move, but the 1st valve casing may have been torqued because it sticks in the down position some. For last night's concert he located a student model Yamaha 201 (3-valver). One of the numbers we played last night was Holst 2nd Suite if 'F'. Needless to say, he couldn't play any of the low notes in the march section.

Hopefully it can be fixed.

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

A really flat 642

So does that make it a Be-Flat euph?

A really flat 642

Yikes!

Rick, was that Glenn's horn?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

A really flat 642

That is a horror story! I will take that as a lesson and avoid leaving my horn on a surface a car might drive on no matter how safe it seems...

Gig bag or hard case?

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

A really flat 642

Felix wrote: "So does that make it a Be-Flat euph?"
    Yes it Really-Be-Flat now!

Euphdude wrote: "Rick, was that Glenn's horn?"
    No, not Glenn's horn. Another friend of mine.

Carroll wrote: "Gig bag or hard case?"
    Gig bag - unfortunately.

I got to see the horn yesterday when some of the low-brass were over to his house to rehearse an upcoming Christmas ensemble gig. The bell is really crumpled - but thankfully the top bow looks fine. The lead-pipe is a little bent and oval shaped. I think the lead-pipe must be putting pressure on the 1st valve casing causing the 1st valve to stick some. The valve casing is probably the easiest thing to fix. If it were my horn, I think I would try to have the bell replaced along with a new lead-pipe. I'm pretty sure that Yamaha still makes the bell (P/N: G3630511).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

There's worse things. I have a friend of mine that put his Over the Shoulder Eb Civil War Bass in a parking lot while loading his car and some women ran over it. You're talk BIG BUCKS!