X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Earlier in my review, I had mentioned that I wnated to lighten the valve action on my Sterling as much as possible. The finger buttons that come with the Virtuoso are quite large and heavy, similar to those on a Yamaha 321. I prefer the smaller, lighter, more rounded feel of the finger buttons on my Prestige. I ordered a set of 4 from Windcraft in the UK and they came today. Since I am in the US, I was able to get them ex-VAT for a total of 54.04 GBP including shipping. They work great and look cool with the black onyx inserts. The lighter buttons also reduce the tendency of the valves to bounce when they pop back up. I think I am now done with customizations to my Virtuoso.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band
  • carbogast
    • Mar 2006

That does sound like a cool look. I have been thinking about abalone inserts in mine (standard Virtuoso, all silver). Is abalone often used for finger buttons? I have abalone on the frog of my violin bow which is very good looking. But it doesn't get the kind of wear that a finger button gets.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

Carroll,

I suspect that abalone would work. I don't know where you could get these though. While I like the black button look, the real reason I did this was to get a similar feel to my Besson.

Doug
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• ydave
        • Oct 2007

Hi Doug

I've spent the last few weeks with Prestige valve buttons on my Sterling...
        I much preffer them... I don't know if they perform any better.. but they feel smaller so more like home (old soveriegns).
        ...Thanks for the idea.
        YDave
        Current Euphs:
        York Eminence
        Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
        Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
        Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
        Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
        Geneva Symphony
        Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
        Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
        Cortios 167 II
        'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Has anyone compared the weight of the Prestige buttons and the Sterling buttons? I don't have any particular preference, but I suppose that lighter is better because they would be quicker (in theory, anyway).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

I haven't actually weighed them, but I do have a postal scale so I will get you the weights. Absolutely the Sterling buttons are heavier, but by how much, I don't know.
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Eupher6
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by: daruby Earlier in my review, I had mentioned that I wnated to lighten the valve action on my Sterling as much as possible. The finger buttons that come with the Virtuoso are quite large and heavy, similar to those on a Yamaha 321. I prefer the smaller, lighter, more rounded feel of the finger buttons on my Prestige. I ordered a set of 4 from Windcraft in the UK and they came today. Since I am in the US, I was able to get them ex-VAT for a total of 54.04 GBP including shipping. They work great and look cool with the black onyx inserts. The lighter buttons also reduce the tendency of the valves to bounce when they pop back up. I think I am now done with customizations to my Virtuoso. Doug
              Doug, is there no U.S.-based source for the Prestige valve buttons? From my experience in the past in trying to get Besson parts (this was during the 2001-2006 debacle), I struggled mightily. Customer "service" was a foreign word in those days.

I'd like to think that those days are over.

Doesn't Besson have a U.S.-source for such routine things like spare parts?

Also, I note from Windcraft's web site that the Prestige finger buttons don't come with the faux pearl inlay. Did you have that material installed in your buttons? Did Windcraft have to outsource that work before shipping to you?

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
              Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
              Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
              Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
              Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
              Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• fsung
                • Feb 2008

Prestige finger buttons w/black "pearl" inserts (BBH7930) are listed on the Windcraft site on page 2 under Brass Spares > Besson Prestige at £12.09 each. ex. VAT. Unfinished finger buttons (BBH7330) are listed on page 1 at £1.50 each, and black "pearl" inserts (BBH7033) at £0.85 each.

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by: fsung

Prestige finger buttons w/black "pearl" inserts (BBH7930) are listed on the Windcraft site on page 2 under Brass Spares > Besson Prestige at £12.09 each. ex. VAT. Unfinished finger buttons (BBH7330) are listed on page 1 at £1.50 each, and black "pearl" inserts (BBH7033) at £0.85 each.
                  1. There is no source in the US for Besson spare parts that I know of. I have heard nothing but complaints from my sources about Buffett-Crampon's ability to deliver spares in the US. Keep in mind that both Besson and York have been distributed in the US by Woodwind organizations. Not sure they know what brass spares should be.

2. Windcraft was pretty good about getting the buttons to me. The prices that Felix quotes are correct, however keep in mind that the Prestige buttons (BBH7930) are gold plated while the unfinished buttons (BBH7330) are either silver or raw brass (don't know which).

Doug
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• bbocaner
                    • May 2009

have you checked the valve alignment? I wonder if the felts might need to be adjusted to account for the different size of the buttons.

--
                    Barry

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

I am using the same felts in both Besson adn Sterling buttons and they both screw in to the piston to the same depth, so the down stroke is the same. I have checked this by pulling the 1st valve compensating slide and checking the down stroke.

Doug
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

I THINK most valve buttons have their inner flat surface level with the attachment point of the threads of the button's screw. That flat surface is where the felt sits. So the top of the felt will be level with the top of the valve stem. Which means the felt should be the same height for any button made this way.

It's good that Doug checked, though. I suppose it's possible that if a button were smaller enough in diameter to cause the felt to fit tightly in the horizontal plane, it could cause the felt to compress in the horizontal plane and "puff out" in the vertical plane.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JorgEuphonium
                          • May 2008

Hello everyone!
                          Thanks for posting where to find accessory shops for euphonium. I needed a shop to replace one of my buttons on my Prestige and I've found where to buy it.
                          You know any more of this type store to buy springs, guides for the piston, felt ...??

Thanks for everything!
                          Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
                          Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
                          Instagram: @jorge_estruch
                          Youtube:
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Comment

• fsung
                            • Feb 2008

I tend to look at springs and felts as generic items, so unless you have a reason for requiring Besson springs and felts, a competent repair tech should be able to size and fit them from what he or she has on hand.

Valve guides for the Prestige you would probably need to order. Windcraft is likely to have them (they list only a small sampling of their inventory on their website). Another possibility would be Mr. Tuba (Mark Carter) in Wales.

Comment

• Dieter
                              • Dec 2009

Jorgeuphonium,

When replacing your springs, check not only the spring height and diameter, but also the thickness of the spring (wire diameter). I replaced once my springs with a spring that was similar in height and diameter but was a little bit less in wire diameter and it did not work (sticky/slow valves as result).

And if I recall well, Mr. Werden also posted once that the 4th valve has another spring than the top valves, so you should check that as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X