Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

1. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Earlier in my review, I had mentioned that I wnated to lighten the valve action on my Sterling as much as possible. The finger buttons that come with the Virtuoso are quite large and heavy, similar to those on a Yamaha 321. I prefer the smaller, lighter, more rounded feel of the finger buttons on my Prestige. I ordered a set of 4 from Windcraft in the UK and they came today. Since I am in the US, I was able to get them ex-VAT for a total of 54.04 GBP including shipping. They work great and look cool with the black onyx inserts. The lighter buttons also reduce the tendency of the valves to bounce when they pop back up. I think I am now done with customizations to my Virtuoso.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

That does sound like a cool look. I have been thinking about abalone inserts in mine (standard Virtuoso, all silver). Is abalone often used for finger buttons? I have abalone on the frog of my violin bow which is very good looking. But it doesn't get the kind of wear that a finger button gets.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

3. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Carroll,

I suspect that abalone would work. I don't know where you could get these though. While I like the black button look, the real reason I did this was to get a similar feel to my Besson.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hi Doug

I've spent the last few weeks with Prestige valve buttons on my Sterling...
    I much preffer them... I don't know if they perform any better.. but they feel smaller so more like home (old soveriegns).
    ...Thanks for the idea.
    YDave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Has anyone compared the weight of the Prestige buttons and the Sterling buttons? I don't have any particular preference, but I suppose that lighter is better because they would be quicker (in theory, anyway).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I haven't actually weighed them, but I do have a postal scale so I will get you the weights. Absolutely the Sterling buttons are heavier, but by how much, I don't know.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Originally posted by: daruby Earlier in my review, I had mentioned that I wnated to lighten the valve action on my Sterling as much as possible. The finger buttons that come with the Virtuoso are quite large and heavy, similar to those on a Yamaha 321. I prefer the smaller, lighter, more rounded feel of the finger buttons on my Prestige. I ordered a set of 4 from Windcraft in the UK and they came today. Since I am in the US, I was able to get them ex-VAT for a total of 54.04 GBP including shipping. They work great and look cool with the black onyx inserts. The lighter buttons also reduce the tendency of the valves to bounce when they pop back up. I think I am now done with customizations to my Virtuoso. Doug
    Doug, is there no U.S.-based source for the Prestige valve buttons? From my experience in the past in trying to get Besson parts (this was during the 2001-2006 debacle), I struggled mightily. Customer "service" was a foreign word in those days.

I'd like to think that those days are over.

Doesn't Besson have a U.S.-source for such routine things like spare parts?

Also, I note from Windcraft's web site that the Prestige finger buttons don't come with the faux pearl inlay. Did you have that material installed in your buttons? Did Windcraft have to outsource that work before shipping to you?

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Prestige finger buttons w/black "pearl" inserts (BBH7930) are listed on the Windcraft site on page 2 under Brass Spares > Besson Prestige at £12.09 each. ex. VAT. Unfinished finger buttons (BBH7330) are listed on page 1 at £1.50 each, and black "pearl" inserts (BBH7033) at £0.85 each.

9. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Originally posted by: fsung

Prestige finger buttons w/black "pearl" inserts (BBH7930) are listed on the Windcraft site on page 2 under Brass Spares > Besson Prestige at £12.09 each. ex. VAT. Unfinished finger buttons (BBH7330) are listed on page 1 at £1.50 each, and black "pearl" inserts (BBH7033) at £0.85 each.
    1. There is no source in the US for Besson spare parts that I know of. I have heard nothing but complaints from my sources about Buffett-Crampon's ability to deliver spares in the US. Keep in mind that both Besson and York have been distributed in the US by Woodwind organizations. Not sure they know what brass spares should be.

2. Windcraft was pretty good about getting the buttons to me. The prices that Felix quotes are correct, however keep in mind that the Prestige buttons (BBH7930) are gold plated while the unfinished buttons (BBH7330) are either silver or raw brass (don't know which).

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

have you checked the valve alignment? I wonder if the felts might need to be adjusted to account for the different size of the buttons.

--
    Barry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast