Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

1. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I am using the same felts in both Besson adn Sterling buttons and they both screw in to the piston to the same depth, so the down stroke is the same. I have checked this by pulling the 1st valve compensating slide and checking the down stroke.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I THINK most valve buttons have their inner flat surface level with the attachment point of the threads of the button's screw. That flat surface is where the felt sits. So the top of the felt will be level with the top of the valve stem. Which means the felt should be the same height for any button made this way.

It's good that Doug checked, though. I suppose it's possible that if a button were smaller enough in diameter to cause the felt to fit tightly in the horizontal plane, it could cause the felt to compress in the horizontal plane and "puff out" in the vertical plane.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hello everyone!
    Thanks for posting where to find accessory shops for euphonium. I needed a shop to replace one of my buttons on my Prestige and I've found where to buy it.
    You know any more of this type store to buy springs, guides for the piston, felt ...??

Thanks for everything!
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

I tend to look at springs and felts as generic items, so unless you have a reason for requiring Besson springs and felts, a competent repair tech should be able to size and fit them from what he or she has on hand.

Valve guides for the Prestige you would probably need to order. Windcraft is likely to have them (they list only a small sampling of their inventory on their website). Another possibility would be Mr. Tuba (Mark Carter) in Wales.

5. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Jorgeuphonium,

When replacing your springs, check not only the spring height and diameter, but also the thickness of the spring (wire diameter). I replaced once my springs with a spring that was similar in height and diameter but was a little bit less in wire diameter and it did not work (sticky/slow valves as result).

And if I recall well, Mr. Werden also posted once that the 4th valve has another spring than the top valves, so you should check that as well.

6. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

Originally posted by: davewerden

Has anyone compared the weight of the Prestige buttons and the Sterling buttons? I don't have any particular preference, but I suppose that lighter is better because they would be quicker (in theory, anyway).
    Dave,

I weighed the two sets of finger buttons on a cheap kitchen scale. The 4 Sterling buttons weigh in at around 50 grams. The 4 Presitge buttons weigh in at about 30 grams. Advantage to the smaller Prestige buttons..Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I'm going to raise a question i haven't seenin the tread yet. My instructor is a tuba player and he switched to a heavier set of buttons because they made intonation more consistent throughout the horn, and also closer to straight in tune on all pitches. have you checke intonation against a tuner with the two different sets?

8. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I have not checked comparative intonation, but I am already using heavy valve caps on all 4 valves to help stabilize tone, response and pitch. I would give up a small bit of pitch for lighter and faster feel to the valves.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

9. New Finger Buttons for my Sterling

I totally agree just figured i would play devils advocate on this one.

10. I'm bumping a really old thread here.... I'm looking for one of the heavy Sterling octagonal finger buttons from someone who switched out for a lighter design. My fourth valve has a round button that doesn't match the other three. Even if it is supposed to be round, it sure would look nice if they were all uniform. I'm sure that the thread is the same. Anyone out there want to sell one (or a set) if they still have them hanging around?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast