Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrival of New Sterling Virtuoso

Arrival of New Sterling Virtuoso

Last week I took delivery of a new Sterling Virtuoso euphonium.

http://s219.photobucket.com/al...g&evt=user_media_share

As far as the specifics of this instrument, I made a number of choices that don't appear to be that popular here in the USA:

No trigger. When I've played these in the past, I thought the intonation was plenty good enough without it. I found the trigger action on the ones I had played previously to be extremely heavy, and that was also a contributing factor. The cost savings made it a no brainer.

No gold accents. I'm a traditionalist, and I've never been completely comfortable with the two tone look. The savings by not getting the gold accents also made this choice a no brainer for me.

A single water key on the main tuning slide ONLY. For the valve slides, I have never been previously satisfied with emptying water through the water key. Not only is not as effective as pulling the slide and dumping directly, but if you don't get the angle right, you'll spray water all over the horn, which is very annoying. If you plan to pull the slides anyway, my logic was to eliminate the water keys on those slides entirely. Although probably a theoretical advantage, I also think the lack of water keys may afford a smoother airflow through the valve slides.

A 305 mm heavy red brass bell. The heavy red brass bell is certainly very popular here in the USA, but the 305 mm size appears to be rarely seen over here. It is halfway in between the more commonly seen 300 mm (the size of the Yamaha 642/842 bells) and 310 mm (large York Eminence) sizes. I consulted with Dave extesively before deciding on this one, and we both felt that this selection would be a nice compromise between the two.

I had the position of the leadpipe raised 1 cm above standard posiiton. You can see in Doug's write up that Sterling's standard position is just a touch higher than the newer Bessons. Although I felt the standard position for Besson and the Yamaha 642/Schiller (but NOT the Yamaha 842) was almost perfect for me and don't require a pillow/device for raising the instrument, I reasoned that this modification would further improve my posture since I am 6'5". Had I seen Doug's write up prior to sending the order, I may not have done this, but I do think the ergonomics are even better than the newer Bessons/Schiller in that regard.

Besson Prestige floating leadpipe affixed by a single stud.

Besson style bracing of the rest of the horn.

I ordered a single heavy valve cap for the 4th valve

I ordered a deluxe case with the horn.

Here are my initial observations:

As advertised, the sound and tone are better than I could have hoped for. If there is a better euphonium in this regard, I would be shocked. What a glorious sound! What impresses me most about the tone is that it is dark and rich, yet also remains very centered and is easily controlled....a combination of positive attributes that I haven't seen in other horns. I found a setup with the newer Bessons that was nearly as dark, but I had to use a heavy weight mouthpiece, and the sound was very uncentered and harder to control.

High register responsiveness, as reported by others, is amazingly open and free.

Low register responsiveness is not quite as open as the newer Bessons or Schiller...but it is only slightly less so.

The valves, although still scratchy sounding, are amazingly quick and light. This was the nicest surprise of all, as I felt the examples I had played previously had slightly heavy action (Virtuosos) to completely dreadful action(previous Sterling-Perantucci's). I would rate them as 97% as good as the German Besson valves, the gold standard IMHO, and are better than just about anything else. Once they break in, I would anticipate the action to improve even further.

The intonation is getting better with each use. The first time I played it, I felt the intonation was really no better than the German Bessons (with a very sharp 6th partial), and noticeably inferior to the Willson and Yamaha. Now I would rate it almost as good as the Willson/Yamaha and superior to the newer Bessons.

The playing angle/ergonomics are better than anything else I've experienced. The high leadpipe placement encourages great posture.

About the only negative I can write about after a week's time is the "deluxe case" that I purchased with the instrument. From the outside, it looks to be nearly identical to the Schiller case, although a closer inspection will reveal that it is longer, slimmer, and significantly heavier. The increased weight certainly indicates more robust construction, which I would expect for protecting such an instrument. In my opinion, the negative is that you have to insert this cone shaped object into the bell to keep the instrument from significantly moving while inside the case, indicating that the case certainly wasn't designed for this instrument....at best, such a remedy seems crude and very annoying.

I haven't had a chance to try the standard 4th valve cap yet..will report on that later

Overall, I'm very pleased with the instrument....the most important facet of the horn for me is the sound, and this horn delivers everything that I've ever wanted, and then some. I will write more once I become more acquainted with the instrument.

- Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Congratulations on the new axe, Scott.

Re: the case, I wonder whether the choice of case isn't up to the vendor?

When I got my Sterling, it came with a case similar to this:*

Shortly afterward, Custom Music switched to a case that's similar in appearance to the Besson case, and I believe Glyn Williams is supplying a similar case.

Although the position of the cutout for the leadpipe on my case doesn't line up with the leadpipe of my Sterling, the horn fits securely without the need to use a cone or other padding to prevent it from moving around inside the case.*

RE: the "Cone"

Whenever I fly with my horn, no matter what case I use, I put something inside the bell to keep it from being bounced against the end of the case if/when the baggage handlers decide to drop it. (There were some very scary videos out a few years back of baggage handlers at Minneapolis/St. Paul Internation Airport - you would not believe the stuff they would do). It seems that Sterling is providing buyers with a classier product than the plastic bag full of Styrofoam shells that I currently use for this purpose!

I suppose most people don't bother to do that, but I have seen lots of bent bells over the years on various brands in various types of cases. For my horn, I'd just as soon keep the pretty curves that it now has.

My rule is: if I'm flying or shipping the horn, I use a pad in the bell; for day-to-day use, I don't. If I had a cone like yours, I would keep it handy for travel, but certainly would not bother for everyday use.

I understand that the cone is covered in fabric (as opposed to a bare Styrofoam cone). If so, it should be safe to use as often as you like. If not, I would cover it and then use it as above.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Re: the case, I wonder whether the choice of case isn't up to the vendor?
    Not sure about this one, other than my vendor never actually handled the instrument. I got the horn directly from the Sterling factory.

My rule is: if I'm flying or shipping the horn, I use a pad in the bell; for day-to-day use, I don't. If I had a cone like yours, I would keep it handy for travel, but certainly would not bother for everyday use.
    Dave, ordinarily I would wholeheartedly agree. In fact, with my Schiller, it isn't an absolutely perfect either width wise, and I stuff a large cloth on top of the bottom bow, and then close the case. The problem with the Sterling case is I'm a little uncomfortable even carrying it around town without the cone....the horn wobbles around a noticeable amount length wise without it. What I don't understand is what instrument the case is intended to fit. It is at least 2-3 inches longer than the length of my horn.
    - Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

The case that Custom Music provides also has a "cone", but the horn fits the case perfectly - no wiggle at all. My only problem with it is that it weighs a ton, so a gig bag is handy.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Originally posted by: carbogast The case that Custom Music provides also has a "cone", but the horn fits the case perfectly - no wiggle at all.
    Interesting.

As I mentioned above, mine did not come with a cone; and none of the cases that were used to transport the Sterling to the Army Band Conference back in January had a cone either. (I had the opportunity to assist at the Custom music booth, as well as set up the booth ahead of time and pack everything up for the return trip to MI, although it's certainly possible that the cases DID come with cones, but Custom Music didn't bother installing them for the trip).

The case that Custom Music provides also has a "cone", but the horn fits the case perfectly - no wiggle at all. My only problem with it is that it weighs a ton, so a gig bag is handy.
    The case I received certainly is very heavy as well, and WITH the cone, my new Sterling fits it perfectly. But without it, there is enough play and wiggle that I don't feel comfortable using it for routine transportation to and from rehearsals/performances, let alone shipment.

- Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

8. Arrival of New Sterling Virtuoso

Congratulations on the horn. It is beautiful and I agree with virtually all of your comments. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your horn as I get out of mine. By the way, I use my Cronkhite gig bag exclusively and rarely use the case. My case is the same as yours and I believe it to be the case I saw in use at Sterling when I was in the UK. I foudn that my Sterling case with the "wedge" actually holds my Besson better than my Besson case does. But both are way too heavy and awkward for regular use.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

9. Arrival of New Sterling Virtuoso

Congratulations, Scott, on your new arrival! There have been quite a few new Sterling deliveries of late. If it were humans, someone would be doing a fertility study.

It's always interesting, maybe even inspiring, to read about how player preferences diverge in some respects and converge in others. I think the common factor that draws players to Sterling is the sound; again and again, the players praise that unique combination of breadth with focus, of darkness topped with a sheen, that the instruments deliver.

The inspiration comes in when you see how your colleagues can imagine things and make them happen. I mean, with these custom orders you can fine-tune the instrument's sound to a significant degree, and also tweak the horn's ergonomics and appearance to your own tastes and needs. How cool is that?

The ensuing discussion of protective cones and bell damage to instruments in transit brings back bad memories. Yes, airline and transportation companies throw baggage and packages all the time. It's a sport to them, actually. My Sterling arrived from a private seller with a big crease in the bell, a godawful triganglated wrinkle that could only have resulted from its being dropped a considerable distance. The instrument was in a hard case (Hiscox) nestled within a heavy carton, well-padded in every direction. After a three-month battle royal with FedEx, I succeeded in getting an insurance settlement greater than what I paid for the horn. I decided not to have the repair done, since the horn plays wonderfully; instead, I spent the money on my son's college graduation present and came out of it looking like a hero. Still, though, I wish the bell could be nice and straight ...

Just took close look at my case, which came from Custom in July 2009. It's very utilitarian in appearance: black fabric, 2 sets of plastic handles and feet for horizontal and vertical standing. It closes with 2 zippers and has a 16"x12" outside music pocket. The outer dimensions are 6 3/4" x 29 1/2" x 18" with a 13" diameter area for the bell. Inside, a large accessory compartment and a plastic receptacle for 1 mouthpiece. The instrument is well supported and held away from the case walls. There is, perhaps, 1/2" of vertical wiggle. Placing the "cone" in the bell eliminates the wiggle entirely. The case shell is 3/8" to 1/2" thick, can't measure exactly or tell what the material is because of the plush covering.

Overall, it seems to be a pretty rugged case and I am very comfortable transporting the horn in it. I do take the precaution of putting it in the passenger section of a car whenever possible, having experienced a couple of rear end collisions in the past (no injuries to persons or instruments thank goodness!).

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast