X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonD
    • Oct 2006

1920 Boosey 3 valve compensating baritone

I have a 1920's Boosey baritone that I would like to put in playing condition. It is silver plated and is marked as a Solbron Class A compensating piston horn. I find that the valves are pretty worn. I think I can get the second and third valves re-plated enough for decent compression but the first valve is pretty shot through. Are ther any sites on the web that deal with parts for antique horns? If any body thinks they may have a valve that fits please let me know. The reason I'm going to this effort is that the horn is so light and compact and would be ideal for playing in tubachristmas and similar activities.

Thanks,
    Ron
  • prototypedenNIS
    • Feb 2006

Parts are probably not available unless someone has a spare part kicking around.
    Besson doesn't make parts for their 30 year old instruments, not to mention their 90 year old ones.

Replating would be an option, but would require relapping to install after replating. This won't be a cheap process. We're talking 500-$1000 dollars.

If you've got an experienced repair technician in your area, I'd say you should take it in to get the valves looked at.

The tuning may still be in low pitch as well which will require shortening of the tuning slides.

Is this your first post? Welcome here!

Comment

• fsung
      • Feb 2008

As it happens, [l=Windcraft.co.uk's[/i] online catalog lists the following under Brass Spares > Obsolete Models > Boosey & Hawkes:

BOB8028 Valve - B & H 622/657 Baritone Horn - 1st/3rd Each £ 15.00

BOB8029 Valve - B & H 622/657 Baritone Horn - 2nd Each £ 15.00
      Windcraft's online catalog is far from complete, so it's possible that they have valves for other Boosey baritones as well.

It is possible that these valves will fit your Solbron, but that is not a sure thing. Given the price vs. the cost of having your current valves rebuilt, however, it's probably worth your while to contact them to inquire about fit and availability.

Comment

Working...
      X