X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • euphoniumlips
    • Feb 2007

New compensating euphonium

I am a freshman in college this year and am looking to finally get a compensating euphonium. I have had the same non compensating for the past 7 years. It is a Weril and i have enjoyed it a lot but the tone quality has been going flatter in the past few years for some reason and the horn itself is holding me back since it is a beginners horn. Any ideas for a good priced compensating euphonium? I was looking at a Yamaha or Besson or even something else. Thanks!
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

If price is not a big factor, the world is your oyster! There are some remarkably good euphoniums on the market these days. Look around the various threads and you'll see lots of comments about brands (start in the Euphonium Brands area). My choice is the Sterling, but there are many other good ones around.

If price is more of a factor, the best buy is generally thought to be the Yamaha 642. I don't think there is much about that horn that would hold you back, as long as you like the sound. Generally I don't think the Yamaha's have as warm and singing a sound as the British horns (York, & Sterling) or the formerly-British brand Besson. I think they can be found new in the $4000's somewhere.

If that is still too high, there are some fine used horns on the market. Here is a Sterling Virtuoso that sounds pretty nice based on the description (similar to my own horn, expect this one does not have a trigger):

Sterling Virtuoso - $3900

That horn offers very good intonation right out of the box and a lovely sound, great response, etc.

Here is an intonation chart where you can compare various brands:

Euphonium Intonation

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• euphoniumlips
      • Feb 2007

Ok thanks! By the way, I am just north of you! haha I am at Bemidji State University! I will look into what you said! Thank you very much.

Comment

• euphoniumlips
        • Feb 2007

Ok, i have another question. I am going to double major in instrumental and vocal music education so would buying a more expensive euphonium be worth it? I dont think i will have a lot of time to perform when teaching.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
          • Feb 2006

I'd buy that sterling. That price is amazing. You won't get a pro horn in newish condition for less than that.

If that euph was on sale when I was shopping I would have bought that in an instant.

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

That Sterling euph is now sold. See this link:

FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium--SOLD
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• fsung
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by: euphoniumlips I am going to double major in instrumental and vocal music education so would buying a more expensive euphonium be worth it?
              Whether or not it's worthwhile to buy a more expensive compensating horn is not primarily a matter of price, but a question of what you can live with.

I know several high school and middle school music teachers who are much better musicians, both technically and interpretively, than I who can appreciate the difference between an intermediate and a professional quality instrument but are perfectly content with their intermediate level instruments and have no desire to upgrade to a professional level instrument. It's not a matter that they aren't "good enough" to play a professional level horn, nor is it a matter that of settling for a horn that "good enough"; it's that, given their priorities at this stage in their lives, they are able to derive as much pleasure and satisfaction playing their current, intermediate level instrument as they would from playing a top-dollar, top-of-the-line, professional instrument. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

OTOH, I know several intermediate level amateur musicians who, while their musical aspirations and achievements - both actual and projected - may not justify owning a top-of-the-line horn, nevertheless derive both pleasure and inspiration from owning and playing a top-tier premium instrument. Ain't nuthin' wrong with that, either.

So the question for you is, What can you live with? if a $200 e-bay special satisfies your musical itch, great; if it's an €8000 custom-built Inderbinen, that's great as well.

Is buying an expensive instrument worth it?

An €8000 horn that you find deeply satisfying to play and own will be money better spent than $200 for a horn that you find deeply unsatisfying to play; but only you can determine at what point the cost of acquiring a horn outweighs the satisfaction you derive from owning and playing it.

Comment

• hsmhp
                • Mar 2009

I agree.

Although I am definitely somewhere in the intermediate skill level and my highest musical aspiration is to continue to play second-chair in the community band, my 967 is a joy to play.

That joy will far outlast the memory of how much I paid for the horn.

David

David Smith

Comment

• JBrassLee
                  • Jan 2011

Your aspirations and mine are quite alike!

Comment

Working...
                  X