Thread: Matthew White

1. Matthew White

http://www.ted.com/talks/matth...nium_a_new_voice.html

Can't say it's a style I'd want to imitate, but impressive nevertheless. :lol: Impressive agility for the pedal register. The kid's got chops, I'll give him that.

Besides the yips, he seems to be doing some singing/playing at the same time. Several players have experimented with that. Makes for some really odd harmonics.

2. Matthew White

Matthew White is a fantastic young euphonium player. I believe he won the BBC young artist award...correct me if I am wrong.

Matthew White

I actually dislike this very much...I realize that multiphonics is very difficult and requires a lot of skill, but I think it sounds rotten and weird and does little to enhance the public's perception of the euphonium...if that were my first impression of the euphonium, I would be kind of grossed out...maybe I am too serious..

I am not criticizing Mathew White whom I know is a much better player than I will ever be, I just think this is rubbish

Lee

Matthew White

I'm not a big fan of multi-phonics either, but some can do it very effectively. One of the best is Oystein Baadsvik on tuba (google Fnugg). Matt Tropman on euphonium (formerly of The Marine Band) is very accomplished in doing this also. If you do it right... hum the 6th above the buzzed note, you can actually get the third of the chord in the sound. When ever you mix frequencies, you get 4 frequencies in the output... the two original frequencies, the sum and the difference freq. The difference should be the third in the chord. Here's a link of Matt Tropman using it very effectively on one of his tracks on his CD, "Continuum":

Ancient Native Air - excerpt
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Matthew White

I can live with that...it was musical and artistically pleasing...thanks

Lee

Matthew White

I think it's different strokes for different folks when it comes to multiphonics. In the right context I think its a great tool to have.

I thought the low range White displayed on that clip was amazing. My kids would call what he was doing a form of "beat boxing". I know if you surf youtube you will find all sorts of people trying it on a variety of instruments.

I thought it was a bit redunant, but heck who am I to criticize a low end like that?

Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Matthew White

Go check out euphonium.net, they posted about Matthew White on July 12th 2011.

Here's a link to the Besson press release:

12 July 2011 - Besson welcomes Matthew White as a euphonium artist

[In the photo linked above...] I believe that's a Steven Mead Ultra mouthpiece!

[Edited to remove possible copyright-protected content from another website - DRW]

8. Matthew White

I think we would have a lot more fan base for the euphonium if we incorporated that stuff into "dubstep."

9. Matthew White

He pretty much copied the guy from the dallas brass, who played it on sousaphone