Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose tuning slide

Loose tuning slide

The second valve tuning slide on my Schiller Elite has always been really easy to adjust (a bit too loose). Lately it has blown out of the horn a couple times while playing. What is the best way to repair it? Does it require the intervention of a repair man?

Thanks.

Loose tuning slide

Hey JP,

I don't think there's any adjustment that you can do yourself on the second slide since it's so short. Not sure what type slide lube you use, but I would recommend you try a thick lube for that slide. I like to us Hetman's #7 lube - which is fairly thick. If that doesn't work, I would recommend you take it to a good tech where he could expand male slide portion some.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Loose tuning slide

As Rick said, a thick lube might do the trick, however, the long-term solution is to have a tech swedge the tuning slide legs.

Loose tuning slide

My Schiller second valve slide runs on the loose slide too, and I have had it blown out on me. My solution? Hetman's Ultra Slide Grease. This is really some extreme stuff, and I don't use it on any other tuning slide (it is way too stiff for all others), but it does the trick nicely for that Schiller slide. It is the grease that looks like fluffed marshmellows but it is extremely thick. One application lasts at least a month, which I think is pretty impressive given the amount of valve oil I use and blow through the horn on a daily basis....it would probably go much longer than that if you were more sparing with the valve oil.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Loose tuning slide

I have a TE-1150 with the same problem (probably due to the specs being similar). A mixture of Hetman's #8 and Ultra works for me (but since I don't use straight Ultra, it doesn't last a month).
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

6. Loose tuning slide

This was a common problem on older Bessons like my old Imperial and even my early Sovereign before I had it replated. I use Hetman #7 on my tuning slides these days, but having a technician swedge the male slide ends a bit to tighten the fit is the best solution.

Hetman Ultra is real nasty stuff. It sticks to your fingers and is hard to wash off. I bought some and tried to use it but I like to stay away from it if at all possible. I don't think it really is a grease. I think it is more like a "non-drying" glue!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Loose tuning slide

As Doug said, it was a common problem on older Bessons. I was forever blowing out the 2nd valve slide on my New Standard until I had it swedged.

May not have been the best $20 I ever spent, but it's probably in the top 10.

Loose tuning slide

Thanks to all!

Doug, can you recommend a good repairman in central Mass?

9. Loose tuning slide

Only place to go....Osmun's in Arlington, MA. Take Mass Pike to 128 to Rte 2 into Park Street. Go North on Park street to Mass ave. Turn right on Mass ave. and go just past the Dunkin Donuts (about 3/ mile). Jim Becker is the low brass guy and he is great. Call ahead and you may be able to get this done while you wait.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Loose tuning slide

Thanks Doug. I had a couple hours to burn this afternoon, so I called Jim Becker and drove out to see him. He fixed the slide while I waited. He also applied Hetman Ultra to all my slides. They're all a stiff pull now, and I agree with you that Ultra is a bit nasty.

JP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast