Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loose tuning slide

1. Loose tuning slide

denNIS,

Just to let you know that with the expandable mandril I managed to give the tube the tight fit it needs.

Thanks again!

2. Loose tuning slide

No problem! Enjoy!

3. Loose tuning slide

My repair guy Scott Mandeville who owns and operates Tim's Music in Sacramento just "customized" my Yamaha 321 for me and made all of the slides work the way I like them. Before, they were all just a tad different. Now they all pull nicely and uniformly and are just the way I like them. It only took him about 20 minutes.

Dont ever rely on grease...just have them adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Redundant I know.

Lee

Loose Tuning Slide

Thanks so much for your inventory of problems and solutions.

Lately while practicing for a competition, the tuning slide for my B&H Euphonium has blown out and clattered onto the floor. (three times in three weeks). The competition is this Wednesday so I can't do anything permanent. I will try some of these suggestions and hope for the best.
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

5. If you're in a pinch and even thicker grease doesn't work, I've tied a rubber band through the 2nd slide pull ring and a nearby bracing (like a luggage tag) to keep it in place.
    1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M
    Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Schilke 52
    1960 Conn 11J-Conn Helleberg
    1961 Conn 14J-Vincent DFL
    2015 King 2341-Bach Corp. 24AW
    Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26

Quote Originally Posted by Euph Loosh View Post
    ...the tuning slide for my B&H Euphonium has blown out and clattered onto the floor. (three times in three weeks). The competition is this Wednesday so I can't do anything permanent. I will try some of these suggestions and hope for the best.
    Do you mean the main tuning slide? If so, heavy grease is my only idea. A rubber band won't help you stay in tune as the slide moves around.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Try Bach 2942 Tuning Slide and Cork Grease

Hi Dave,
    It's the small second valve slide at the front of the horn. Thanks for asking!
    Euph Loosh

Quote Originally Posted by Euph Loosh View Post
    Hi Dave,
    It's the small second valve slide at the front of the horn. Thanks for asking!
    Oh, then try the suggestion above about the grease. If that does not work you can rig a rubber band some way so you can easily remove it and the slide when needed.

If all else fails... There is one other method I've used twice over the 45 years since I started playing professionally, but if you quote my I'll deny it!! You could gently tap the small inner slide portion with something like a wooden mallet. You would want to drive it ever-so-slightly out of round. That works in a pinch, and if you don't overdo it a repair tech can easily undo it when you have time to fix it right. Approach gently and keep trying it in the horn to make sure you don't go too far. (But of course I never said any of this.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Many thanks Dave, - and I didn't "hear" your second suggestion . As soon as our playing season has finished, I will take it to my awesome repair guy.
    Euph Loosh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast