Thread: Quartet Music

1. Quartet Music

Hello all,

I am a student at Illinois State University that has started a tuba quartet and I am in the process of gathering music. Therefore I asked my professor about the possibility of the university purchasing music for the ensemble. So he assigned me a realistic task so that I can possibly obtain the music I am looking for, along with various other pieces. I am asking for some help in collaborating this list of tuba quartet music (EETT), consisting of various grade levels, for the ISU Music Library. If you were given the opportunity, what pieces would you purchase as a student or professor for your universities Music Library?

Quartet Music

I'm in a Tuba ensemble that just started a couple of months ago. We have some charts that are very good. I'll list some of the best ones in my opinion:

Appalachian Carol - James Canter
    Homage - John Cheetham
    Contrapunctus IX - J S Bach; Mike Forbes
    Tubasonatina - Thom Ritter George
    Variation on "The New World Symphony" (Largo section) arr James Woodward
    Air from Suite No. 3 in D - J S Bach; Harvey Phillips
    Loch Lomond - Mike Forbes (free from ITEA magazine)
    Benediction - John Stevens for Sotto Voce Quartet
    Some of these are available at Tuba - Euphonium Press.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quartet Music

Feel free to peruse.

Ensembles

Ken F.

Quartet Music

Originally posted by: RickF Benediction - Mike Forbes for Sotto Voce Quartet Some of these are available at Tuba - Euphonium Press.
    Rick,

Is this the arrangement on the Viva Voce CD? I believe that was composed for SV by John Stevens. It's available through Tuba-Euphonium Ppess.

Quartet Music

Originally posted by: fsung

Originally posted by: RickF *Benediction - Mike Forbes for Sotto Voce Quartet Some of these are available at Tuba - Euphonium Press.
    Rick,
    Is this the arrangement on the Viva Voce CD? I believe that was composed for SV by John Stevens. It's available through Tuba-Euphonium Ppess.
    Oops... You're right Felix. Thanks for catching that. I was thinking Sotto Voce - thus Mike Forbes came to mind. I corrected above. Benediction is a very nice piece. We're planning to end our first concert with that one. Since it's at a Christian college, we think it very appropriate.

BTW, you can listen to 'Contrapunctus IX' (Bach fugue) - and more - on Sotto Voce's website at their audio link here:. They have a great sound.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Quartet Music

Is the Loch Lomond arrangement the same as the one played by Sotto Voce?

Quartet Music

Originally posted by: littleguino

Is the Loch Lomond arrangement the same as the one played by Sotto Voce?
    Yes,

It was written by Mike Forbes, who does a lot of arranging for Sotto Voce. It was part of the free "Gem Series" and published in last year's (or maybe longer) ITEA quarterly.

Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)