Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson 968 vs. Yamaha 642

Rosenberg, TX (soon to be Philadelphia, PA)

Besson 968 vs. Yamaha 642

okay, so here's my predicament. I'm a great highschool player that always gives his best, i've become drum major of my band and it's my senior year. I'm a good euphonium player so i have no problem making it in the all region band or taking a solo to state. The problem for me is my instrument is some no-name brand that holds me back. last year there was 1 professional euphonium (yamaha 642) in the AAA all state tryouts i went to, and he's made it 2 out of 3 years he's tried out, and another guy from his school has to because they have the same euphonium. everyone else including myself has some random cheap brand or a king 2280/ yamaha 321. The tryouts had fairly easy music (especially given the months of preparation we were given) and if you were a descent euphonium player with good tone that could make it to that level, you sounded like everyone else without a professional euphonium. I'm limited by my instrument and have been wanting a pro euphonium for several years now. I have done much research and considered what i want and even have made a payment plan so it can work.

My current Euphonium: here's a look http://www.musicalinstrumenthaven.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=292 good sides about the instrument. It has a preferable valve style (3 +1 on side), large shank and bore for bigger sound than the 321s, and it's CHEAP. reasons why i don't like it: The valves shortly turned colors they shouldn't (corrosive, i don't expect them to last another year), non compensating, and it doesn't have that professional tone quality that i desire.

What I want out of my new Euphonium: Well most importantly tone quality, compensating, 3+1 valve system, large shank, not too large bore/bell (for solo work), silver, and below 6,000$.

Yamaha 642: About 500$ cheaper. Superior intonation. "The best bang-for-your-buck euphonium."

Besson 968: I've heard many good things about Sovereigns recently, i've even read a review about a new 967 that said, "This horn is LIGHT YEARS better than my old 642, and truly has made me a better player simply from switching." From what i hear, some major improvements have been made on the Sovereigns in the past few years. Also, the 968 is aimed more at solo work than the 642 is because of bore and bell size.

I've done TONS of research for a long time and have narrowed down my choices and after i looked into Sovereigns, It's looking to be the preferrable option. What I lack is hands-on experience with the two, if you can give me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!

Euphonium player with the Houston Brass Band
    Willson 2950
    Gidding & Webster EXL

Hi Johnathan,

The 642 is an excellent horn. You probably read other posts here on the forum discussing the Yamaha 642. But I know for me, the 642 has a different tone quality than what I prefer. I currently play the predecessor to the 642 - the 641. I had a 642 for a couple of months at my disposal and was surprised that most people prefer the tone I got with my 641 compared to the 642 (see Yamaha 641S thread for comparisons). The 641 is more focused. Probably because the bell is an inch smaller, and quite possibly where the placement of the upper brace is from top bow to the bell (see pictures for comparison in the 641 thread). But... the 642 has better intonation and more open response in the low range. Until I did some extensive play testing, I thought I would prefer the 642. As it is, I'm sticking with my 641 for now.

The Besson 968 might be a good choice if you're looking for a more focused tone. It has a smaller bell. The bore of the 968 is smaller too (.580 vs .591 for the 642). Also, valve action is a bit shorter on Besson so technical passages should be easier. Don't know about intonation issues with the Besson 968. Some Bessons have some problem areas with intonation.

Maybe someone here on the forum who owns a Besson 968 will chime in with more information.

Hope some of this helps.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Intonation on the Yamaha is a bit better than the Besson, which may be a competitive advantage.

But the key, I think, is tone. If you are looking for a really large sound, you might want to think about the Besson 967, which has a larger bell. It is not as focused as the 968 but seems to fill the room more easily.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've played and owned both. They are vastly different instruments, and I think you basically need to play both to see which may be the one for you.

Jhnthn,

Let me tell you of my personal experiences. I played a Yamaha 642 from mid-high school through college. They really are great horns, especially for the price. Intonation is generally very good, and maintenance is generally very low. The rub I had was that I had not play-tested many instruments before. In December of 2005, I play-tested Steve Mead's new batch Prestige and then got the opportunity to play-test a Sovereign 967, and I was absolutely blown away with how much easier it was to play in all aspects. Also, I never realized that the sound in my head was never being produced through the Yamaha. The Yamaha's tend to sound a bit "dull" in comparison to other brands out there, particularly Besson. In my humble opinion, you will not find a better singing euphonium than a Besson Sovereign. The response is incredible, and the valves are second to none... in fact, they create a new category of competition. They're really that good. But, try it and see for yourself. The horns will sell themselves.

Also, I'd like to add that since being a Besson artist and playing the Prestige exclusively for nearly 2 years, the Prestige has opened up so many new dimensions of my playing that I never thought possible. I can still make the horn "sing" as I could on all of the Sovereign's, but it has the extra punch that you put it through when soloing with brass bands or when you want to really "torque" the air through the horn. Plus, having the trigger, there is not an intonation problem that cannot easily be corrected. In fact, I very rarely use the trigger anymore. The horn is also that flexible without decreasing endurance and stamina. I find myself getting through 80 minute recitals with some gas still in the tank at the end, something I could NEVER do on my Yamaha. You really have to work to get the sound that you want on the Yamaha's. Case in point when Shoichiro tested a Prestige and was blown away with the ease of play and the new colors he could produce on demand through the Prestige over the Yamaha 842, which is Yamaha's "staple" euphonium.

With all of this being said, it comes down to YOU. I always tell my students when they discuss purchasing a new instrument, they need to take 2-3 days and extensively play-test them. If in the end, the Yamaha is what fits your ear and fits your characteristics that you're looking for, go with it. If it's Besson, go with it. If it's Jupiter (Heaven forbid...LOL), go with it! If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to ask! Good luck in finding your new "baby"!!! Sounds like you've already done some great research!

Happy hunting,
    Brandon
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

To be honest I wouldn't worry about such a pro horn in high school. That's just my opinion really.
    I made all states and sat principal in the all new-england band two years in a row with a Jupiter! I started thinking about pro horns the summer before college, and now I've got the York.

To be honest (and James Jackson has noticed this as well) a lot of people are moving away from that 642 in favor of other horns (Besson in your case). Even Shoichiro Hokazono, who helped design the 842, is now playing on a Besson! And many of my college peers have switched out of Besson.

Just my 2 cents...don't make too big of a deal about it

thanks for all your input, i'm leaning towards the 968 and possibly 967. but now i have another problem

I checked my local music dealer, they don't even have bessons. I don't think i would get it from them, it's RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, and that's for a 642(less than a 100$ away from 8000)

Given that I live in central texas, can anyone recomend a good place for me to go, maybe Denton? I'd like to play test it before hand. Also, any place that offers 8000 for a 642 is out of the question. If all else fails, I may order from wwbw, for now i'm open to suggestions

Willson 2950
    Gidding & Webster EXL

8. Besson 968 vs. Yamaha 642

i know eBay has 2 968's and a 2051(if you're interested) all mint for cheap. I personally was in the same boat as you, and went through the same dilemma and chose a besson 967. The intonation is way better than it's given credit for, and if you spend a good amount of time in wind bands its brilliant to play. The valves are also by far the best of anything i saw. It is also a far underrated solo. I've had instructors give me strange looks when i said i chose besson over yamaha or willson, and saw the look disappear when they had a chance to play and hear what the new horns sound like. however you choose i wish you the best.

Sean Kurfman

9. Besson 968 vs. Yamaha 642

an update on my last post, one of the horns is circa 2003 with some light use for 3k the other is an older model(made in england) for 4995 and the 2051 is brand new for 6675

I never thought I would see good quality and professional instruments on ebay, but believe it or not, i've found some GREAT deals. for the moment, i've got my eye on a sovereign 967. i don't consider it too great of a take away from the 968 given it has gorgeous tone. I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

Willson 2950
    Gidding & Webster EXL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast