Thread: Holton B490RS

Holton B490RS

I am brand new to the forum - just finding it this week. I am getting back into the euphonium after a 30 year absence. I have found a local contact that will be my teacher (at least for start up) and he is going to sell me his Holton B490RS if I choose - as he is playing his Besson 968 all the time now. He says the Holton is made by Weril, and plays about like the YP321. I see lots of posts about the YP321 on this site, but nothing about Holton or Weril. Would I be making a mistake buying this instrument? (he is asking $1500).

2. Holton B490RS

A new Holton B490RS can be had at Taylor Music for around $1700.00. I tried one, does play like the Yamaha 321. I myself went with a Schiller Elite Comp Euphonium for $935.00. Have been very happy with it. Your teacher might not be happy though....

Holton B490RS

Some time ago, Holton was marketing a 4 valve euphonium that was the YEP-321, meaning it was made for them by Yamaha....only the name on the bell was different. I have no idea if it was this specific model however. If it was indeed this same horn, it probably is a decent horn. But for $1500, you could get the Schiller Elite compensating euph, which is far better. And you would have $600 left over.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Holton B490RS

One item I didn't mention in my original post - the Holton B490RS is the same as the Weril 980. The comments about the YP321 is that my instructor noted that the Holton (Weril) plays a lot like the 321. I have seen another post about Weril 980 being a good option for an intermediate euph.

Holton B490RS

Seems like quite a few people suggest the Schiller Compensating euph. The question then becomes: Lacquer or Nickel? I haven't seen any other instruments listed as "nickel" - just silver. Any preference?

6. Holton B490RS

The Holton/Weril is a good copy of the Yamaha 321, intonation is quite good, sound is more open (large shank), but valves are not quite as good (not that the Yamaha ones are a gold standard), and the brass is a little thinner making it more susceptible to damage and a bit brighter. Case is far superior (last time we got one in), it's an MTS products case and doesn't have the flimsy luggage latches that break and are a giant pain to repair and to replace (took Yamaha Canada 4 weeks to get back to me with a part number and cost).
    It's a good horn but I'd also point to the Besson 3+1 non comp or the Eastman 321 copy (which I would rate higher than the Weril).