X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yoofyjazz
    • Oct 2008

New euphonium with big band CD

Check out the quote from Sammy Nestico regarding this new recording. It's unbelievable. Check it out at euphoniumjazz.com. The charts are Clarke solos arranged for big band and solo euphonium. The soloist and arranger is David Bandman. "...solo work reflects musicianship by one of the greatest soloists I've ever heard! ...tailored arrangements made everything "fit" perfectly and are superb....A very unique recording." Sammy Nestico

• JTJ
    • Nov 2005

To put on my critic's hat. Interesting, but leaves me cold, possibly because the tracks were recorded separately and mixed -- it don't swing, except occasionally.

Bandman is a fabulous technician, but the solos are written, and the licks are standard jazz licks. That level of technical playing would be taken for granted by the top level of trumpet studio jazz musicians, so I have a little problem with Nestico's endorsement. Plus, the very best could improvise at that level and would not need it written out.

Behrend got it best in his blurb: 'Virtuosic combination of jazz and legit playing...'

Still, he's plowing new ground for the euphonium.

Comment

• yoofyjazz
      • Oct 2008

I'm not sure what jazz experience you have but I know for a fact the solos are

not written out. They are improvised

Comment

• JTJ
        • Nov 2005

Then I'm impressed, if it is true. But not so much that I agree that he is "one of the greatest soloists I've ever heard." Plus, there is not anything new about those licks.

Go spend some time listening to Dizzy Gillespie in his prime -- then you will have heard one of the greatest soloists helping invent a style, not just playing in it.

John

Comment

• yoofyjazz
          • Oct 2008

The quote may be a "little" much. I'm sure it was meant in the spirit of him really liking the CD and thinking it is something innovative and fresh. I would never compare anyone to Dizzy. They'll lose. There is and never will be anyone like that again. He was one of a kind. As were the many great players of the time. I just think this is a really great recording, no matter the technology taken advantage of to create it. And as you said; "plowing new ground for the euphonium. Euphonium and jazz are so rare it's exciting to here something like this.

Comment

• JTJ
            • Nov 2005

I agree with you. I was impressed with his playing and was more reacting to the Nestico blurb than anything else. Bandman is the real thing, playing wonderfully well in a rarified and most difficult style. It would be great to hear him peform live with a top players behind him.

John

Comment

• yoofyjazz
              • Oct 2008

If you check out his website, he's playing with Western MI Tuba ensemble

for the Army band tuba/euphonium conference. It's live on the internet

Comment

• JTJ
                • Nov 2005

Glad to know -- one more reason to try to get up to Northern VA for the conference. I am only about a 4 1/2 hour drive away, but it is a bad time for me to take time off from work.

John

Comment

Working...
                X