Thread: Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

1. Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

Hello everyone -

I am retired and took up the euphonium 17 months ago. I play a Bach 3 valve euphonium (who knows how old) and am ready to move up to something like a Yamaha YEP-321 4 valver. However the used YEPs on eBay are getting more and more expensive with more and more dings and scratches. I am on a retiree's budget and would like a decent euph at an affordable price. I have seen some good words about Tuba Exchange (e.g., TE-1300L 4 valve euphonium). Anyone have any experience or comments about it? Another option is a Jupiter 470.

Thanks for any comments.

Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

Welcome on board!

Being local to Tuba Exchange, I have had the opportunity to try several different examples from a number of different shipments.

IMO, the Tuba Exchange euph is one of the better stencil euphs I've tried. For the money, I would definitely choose it over used 321 or King 2280.

You might want to raise your sights a bit and look at the Schiller*compensating euph (see the review here*as well). Not only is it fully compensating, it is less expensive than the TE non-compensating euph. Based on the reviews and my brief play test of the Schiller, I would choose the Schiller over the TE in a heartbeat.

[Disclosure: I have no financial interest in either Tuba Exchange, Schiller, or Schiller's parent company, Jim Laabs, nor do I receive any compensation or consideration, financial or otherwise, from any of them.]

[Edited to correct tags]

For some reason Felix your links aren't working for me. Not sure what's happening. I was going to edit to correct it but I'm not exactly sure what thread you were trying to refer Barry to.

But... here's a link on Schiller Compensating euphonium at Jim Laabs:

Schiller Compensating Euphonium
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

I have owned a Schiller comp euphonium for about 4 months. I play it in a low brass group, 2 tubas and 4 euphoniums. It plays better than my previous Besson 765 and as well if not better than the Yamaha 321's in my group. I have been very happy with the Schiller so far. For me, $900.00 well spent!!

5. Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

Gentlemen -

Thanks for your advice. I printed out your comments and will do some additional research (e.g., on the Schiller). If there are other people with opinions, I would much appreciate them as well.

Thanks again.

Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

7. Anyone know anything about Tuba Exchange Euphoniums?

I purchased a TE 1150s recently. It's their compensating model. I've been a euphonium player since Jr. High School, have a masters in euphonium performance, and was twice a semi-finalist in the Falcone. The TE1150S is an EXCELLENT euphonium. It is very well built, weighs about the same as my Meil Weston 451 and plays WAY better in tune and slots much better too. The valves are wonderful and the tone is nice and rich. It seems to be a copy of the Yamaha 642. It looks like the 642 and sounds and plays like one too. It cost $700 more than the Schiller which I told is made at the same factory. However Tuba Exchange has a 21 day test period. You can send it back for a complete refund but pay the shipping both ways. Tuba Exchange also has parts in stock. The sources for the Schiller can order them. For me, that's worth the extra $$. In addition the TE1150S has a HARD case. I am delighted with my new purchase and highly recommend the TE 1150S.

These Chinese clone compensating euphoniums have been so successful and so universally lauded that they now have to be considered even by quite serious players. The quality and player acceptance of them has recently resulted in Tom McGrady of Mack Brass (where I got mine for $750 -- the price has now gone up about $50 I think) to adopt a return policy where he will refund your full purchase price AND all your shipping costs if you're not happy with the instrument.

There is another thread in this forum that discusses the benefits of ordering or buying from a variety of vendors (cost, speed of getting the instrument, warranty, support, etc.). There is a significant cost difference (over 100% in terms of purchase cost) and difference in warranty. You should look at that thread ("eastman compensator") and then decide where in that spectrum you fit. For these sorts of things I'm a rather low cost/high risk kind of guy, and I've been very happy with mine. But a lot of people will not be comfortable going that way.

Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

The Tuba Exchange is local for me and I know the folks there well. Their euph is very good for the price, and they do a great job of supporting the warranty with a first class, in house repair tech (who keeps parts on hand), should you need work done on the horn.

john