Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

1. good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

I'm looking at various resources on the internet, and need some suggestions.
    I have a son who wants to start playing the baritone tuba euphonium.* He played the string bass last year and was quite good at it.* His sister plays an instrument and we purchased a clarinet for her.
    It seems to be more cost efficient to purchase an instrument than to waste money renting, especially if he keeps it for awhile.* We want to keep under five hundred bucks to start - any suggestions?
    Thanks

please note that this topic was double posted in another category. I moved a reply to this thread and removed the double posting. - Moderator

good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

I've been quite happy with my Weril H980 4 valve euphonium that I got on eBay for a little over $500. I'd say it would be a very good beginner/intermediate horn although it may take more air to fill the horn than a smaller baritone might. You may be hard pressed to find much around that price range especially if you want to (and likely should) try it before you buy. Others may have additional options for you. The Weril is the only one I have any experience with.

3. good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

Weril is good, but I'd take an Eastman over a Weril. The Jupiters are ok now, but more expensive. (they're all Yamaha Copies but Weril is also a large shank.).

Yamaha 321 (4v) and 201 (3v) are quite good are overpriced here, but priced fairly in locations with multiple Yamaha dealers.

Besson is an excellent option, their silverplated models are the same price as their lacquered ones and is a large shank.

Ebay is probably the best source for < $500 horns. Use, older, American-style euphoniums from Conn, Holton, Olds, King, et al. show up regularly on ebay. They are generally good players (assuming they are in reasonable mechanical and physical condition), and are generally made of better quality materials than new horns in the sub-$800 price range.

Used Yamaha 201s and 3-valve Jupiters and Werils typically sell for < $500 on ebay. Occasionally, a Yamaha 321 or Jupiter 570 will slip in under that price level.

If you do go the ebay route, steer clear of "teacher approved" or "instructor approved" instruments and flavor-of-the-month brands (schill, selman, liberty, largo, stagg, raisons, victory, maestro, bouree, schmidt, etc., which have a justly deserved reputation for indifferent quality, intonation, and playability.

I played a Yamaha YEP 321 and a Bach 1110 (as I think I recall) early on. The Bach is the same as the Yamaha but with a different stamp on it and a few hundred less. It's a great starter horn that will last him into high school.

6. good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

I may have something that can be of help. I have a Schiller 450 non compensating Euphonium that I would like to sell. It plays pretty well, but as I dont teach I would defer to other opinions as to how good it would be for someone starting out. You can contact me directly for any additional info.

Craig

7. good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

Personally having just got my first horn a few months back now if i knew of all the choices i would take the besson it looks to me like it would be best to teach him how to play well and like he would have to on a pro horn.

8. good baritone euphonium for my starter 5th grader

Originally posted by: uieuph

I played a Yamaha YEP 321 and a Bach 1110 (as I think I recall) early on. The Bach is the same as the Yamaha but with a different stamp on it and a few hundred less. It's a great starter horn that will last him into high school.
    Bach no longer has Yamaha making their euphs. Not sure whether they still even have King doing them.
    Can't check their website here, the university doesn't install flash...

9. The Jupiter 470 is also another good horn. It is a 4-valve up non-comp horn that could take him through until he decides he wants the full comp/large bore horn. A friend of mine on the comeback trail bought one for community band, and I was pleasantly surprised. If the inevitable happens, your tech can easily remove the valve section for repairs.

Also, if his hand is not large enough yet for all four valves, you can always pull the 3rd valve slide so that 2+3 combinations are slightly flat, making 1+3 lippable (that's what we did for 3-valve King and Conn "baritones" for decades), then when he "grows into" the 4th valve, probably in middle school, then push the 3rd valve slide back in a little.

10. Wessex would be another good choice. Their student euphonium is $485. I've only played their Dolce 4 valve euphonium and their baritone. Those instruments are very good and I would suspect the student model would compare favorably to other student model horns.

The Wessex baritone may be of interest because of its size and weight. It's much smaller and lighter than the euphonium, but of course, will play in the same Bb range and play the same music. It's tone is a bit different than the euphonium, but probably wouldn't matter much until later in the lad's life.

Later,

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast