Thread: 4AL or SM4. What mouthpiece suggest I use?

4AL or SM4. What mouthpiece suggest I use?

Hello everyone!

Few months I've been playing with the Dennis Wick 4AL but not just convince me. It's a very comfortable mouthpiece but I think their sound is too aggressive and that's why if not change it for the SM4. Some time ago, I used the SM5 and gave me good results, the only thing I disliked was that mouthpiece that did not have much projection of sound (although earlier used a Yamaha 642 and now I have a Besson Prestige 2052).

You think we should change the mouthpiece?

Thanks for all!!

Jorge
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

Jorge, it seems like you like the SM4 sound better than the 4AL, but the SM5 is best of all, although lacking projection. I know of one world class British player who says he uses an SM5, so the projection issues may simply be a matter of practicing and improving. I've been playing a 2052 for several months, along side my Miraphone, and the 2052 requires far more energetic use of breath to sound good, even at low sound levels. But once you put enough energy in, it really starts singing. It's like the horn is dead, but then springs to life. The 642, in my experience, does not require as much energy to project and sound.

It might be worth trying to get the best possible sound you can from the SM5.

John

PS Just as an aside, I have lately been experimenting with a LOUD LM-25 on my Besson. Now talk about agressive! It's moves the sound to something like the offspring of a Willson 2900 and an old Sovereign. I like it, so far.

Originally posted by: JTJ

It might be worth trying to get the best possible sound you can from the SM5.
    Thanks for your reply John!

I can not use the SM5 because I need a bigger mouthpiece, I guess with the SM4 will get the same results.

I spent a while using the mouthpiece "Yamaha Sh Special" (53H), but I had to stop using it because every time I used it just very tired, but it is a mouthpiece that sounds good. That's why I'd like to continue with a Dennis Wick mouthpiece because I am used to that kind of mouthpieces and I feel very comfortable with them.

Thanks again!
    Jorge Estruch: Euphonium, trombone & tuba teacher/Euphonium player

Euph: Besson Prestige 2052-2
    Mpc: ​Denis Wick 4AL

Twitter: @jorgeuphonium
    Instagram: @jorge_estruch
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JorgEuphonium

4. 4AL or SM4. What mouthpiece suggest I use?

When trying out A york eminence, it came with a 4AL. Prior to this, I had always played on an SM4. And afterwards, i continued on the SM4 lol. Upon comparing them, i noted that the 4AL gives less projection than the SM4. I then moved to an SM3, WOW. that's a good mouthpiece. I'm in the process of trying out 3 sizes of Alliance mouthpieces. Just got to wait for them to come