Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Convincing my parents to purchase an instrument...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CKH
    • Jul 2008

Next fall, I'm planning on double majoring in music performance and education at the University of North Texas (my first choice). If not (I live in Georgia) I plan on attending UGA. That being said, I was speaking to my friend, a tubist, and he said he would have a new CC Tuba within the next several weeks. Suddenly, I realized I really would like to have my own instrument. I have been playing on a Yamaha 642 that my school owns for the past several years and have really liked it. There are a few things that I don't, but overall, it's a great instrument. In order to be successful in the competitive environment that is college, I feel that I would need an improvement on my current instrument. How can I convince my parents to drop $6000 plus on an instrument? Financially, we're middle class, but my family has never been one to spend money for the sake of getting rid of it. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Christian
  • Snorlax
    • Mar 2007

Hi...
    Several things come to mind:

1. Get a part-time job, save up, and buy one yourself,
    2. Or perhaps your parents will give you a "matching grant."
    3. Consider a quality used instrument, then return to #1 above. It's a buyer's market for used horns these days.
    4. Either college has an excellent teacher. Good luck wherever you wind up.
    Ask your teacher for advice on choosing a horn. Almost all Bowman students play a Willson and a BB1. Return to #1 above
    5. Your teacher can chat with your parents about instruments.
    6. Return to #1 above

Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Good suggestions by Snorlax.

If you're considering #3, there's an almost brand-new 642 for sale here in this forum:

Yamaha 642
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Kurfie549
        • Nov 2008

I myself went through the same ordeal myself a few months ago. make it obvious to your folks that this is very important to you, but you aren't simply rushing into it. buying a quality used horn is probably your best bet. I personally got a Bessson Sovereign 967 that had been a convention horn (great thing to look for) in brand nerw condition for less than 4k with a service plan included in that price. i know eBay has an english sovereign for 4k sold by quintheeskimo.

Bottom line is do your research before hand and find a deal that is sensible and show that you do realize the magnitude of the purchase.

Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

• fsung
          • Feb 2008

I think it would be imprudent for the OP to purchase a horn without the guidance of an experienced euphonium teacher: preferably his professor or principal instructor at whatever school he ends up studying.

I also think it would be a mistake to do so before the instructor has had the opportunity to take the full measure of the OP's strengths, weaknesses, musical sensibilities, and preferences.

And  unless the instrument one is currently playing is either defective or inappropriate for the level at which one is studying and playing, e.g., a Yamaha 201 or a Besson 1062 in a euph performance degree program, I am extremely dubious that buying a horn - any horn - will help one compete more successfully, regardless of the level of competition.

If you would like to know why I think those to be the case, look up the "York vs. Besson" thread.

Comment

• bearphonium
            • Jan 2007

Having your own horn is an excellent idea, especially where you want to go with your career path. I would agree with what several other people have already posted: Stand by and wait to see how you're evaluated by your new prof, and what the reccommendation is from him/her. Buy a used horn; it is really a buyer's market. Spend at least some of your own money on it, at least a third of the total cost. Be patient and wait for exactly what you want.

Good Luck!

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

I'll echo fsung's advice: talk to your new teacher first.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
              X