Thread: Student in need of advice

1. Student in need of advice

Hi everyone,

My name is Nick and I am currently a sop. music education major. I am looking to purchase a Euphonium of my own most likely a Yahmaha but I am unsure of what type. Ive have played on the 642 and the 321 in high school, but I'm unsure of which one to purchase now. I played the 321 for three years and I enjoyed it. I currently play on a Jupiter but I am unhappy with it. So I'd really like to hear with you you'll think.

Thanks

Student in need of advice

Hello Nick and Welcome to the Forum!

You're asking a loaded question, right off the bat, one that others have asked on the forum. The best answer to give is first:

Check with your Professor! While you're a music ed major and presumably aren't doubling your major in performance, your professor should be best placed to give you some solid advice. He/she knows your abilities and skills far better than anyone here, so check with your prof!

The next thing to consider is what you plan to do with the instrument after you complete your studies. Are you going to continue a master's program somewhere in music? Do you plan on performing after your education is complete? If so, then you may want to invest in a professional level horn, one that you'll keep with you for years to come.

Then there are the aspects of the instrument itself. Auto-compensating, or not? Three plus one valve arrangement, or all four up top? Large bore, or smaller, including the euro shank models? (All this is before you get to the silver plate, nickel plate, or lacquer options.)

Why don't you tell us a little more about your plans and go from there?

There are lots of folks on this forum who know what there is to know about the euphonium, so you're sure to hear some excellent advice here.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Good advice there from Eupher6! Ask the teacher.

Generally, you would want something at the level of the 642 if you were going to do really serious playing. But if you needs are "lighter" than that, perhaps similar to a band director who plays when he has the chance, then the 321 would be a dandy horn. It's cheaper than the 642 and easier to clean and polish. It may even be easier to blow and to play in tune. But the 642 would be better for the player who has strong chops and wants a really big sound.

But let's hear more about your goals, etc. - that will help.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Student in need of advice

Thank you all very much for the feed back. I plan on becoming a band director but I would also like to continue to play as well. I was thinking of purchasing the 321 for now and when I feel the time is right, begin to look into purchasing a 642. I actually played on a 642 when I first stated playing in middle school and continued to play on one my freshmen year in high school until my school purchased a 321 and with that one i really noticed my playing was getting better. So I'm wondering if my idea is a good one?

The 321 is a smaller bore and might have been easier to play well for that reason. The 642 is a lot of horn for a 10th grader. But keep practicing and trying to grow your sound. If you feel the 321 is holding you back at some point, that might be a good time to shop around.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Student in need of advice

There are many horns to try out, usually a music store will be willing to loan an instrument out to a teacher for a student to try. Try several with your teacher. Sometimes a horn that you think you'd like, turns out to feel completely wrong to you.

There's much fun to be had when test driving.