Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

How frequently do you replace valve felts, washers or springs? I would think springs would get changed a lot less frequently than felts and washers. Since the amount the horn is played matters, let's assume someone plays 1/2 hour daily. I'm just looking for an order of magnitude here - yearly? Every five years?

And what are the tell-tale signs that something needs replacing?

Thanks.

JP

2. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

JP -

Springs -I had original springs in my 27 yr. old Besson when I sold it.

Real Felts - 1 year if you play constantly. More if you play infrequently. Felts can be washed in hot water and detergent, dried, and then will fluff up for reuse.

Synthetic Felts - Like Besson or York - last longer.

Cork Washers - 1-2 years. Replace when you replace felts or when the spit valve corks start to rot.

Plastic washers and valve guides - Generally last a real long time. Willson plastic valve guides seem to wear quicker than most.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

For felts and washers, I let the repair tech make the call when I have my horn chem cleaned since the shops I've dealt with include valve alignment in the price of the cleaning.

I'll replace springs at the same time if the coating on the springs is starting to wear through or flake off or if they're buzzy and the buzz is not caused by misalignment of the spring in the valve casing.

4. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

My theory - don't replace unless you notice something is wrong!
    For example, my valves on my euph were in an awful state when i got it. Sometimes sticky valves can be the result of a spring that isn't strong enough. But Make sure when you put new ones in, you stretch them a little bit to create the effect of them being worn in.
    Also, my valves are very "BANG BANG"...new felts!
    And as mentioned above, only replace spit valve corks when they rot

think that's everything?

5. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

Felts and springs should be replaced when the valves are noisy.

If the valves are clicking, the felts need to be replaced. The size of felt is important for the alignment of the ports so this is something that it is often good to have a repair tech look at when you're getting regular maintenance.

Springs will buzz if they are too worn or will not provide sufficient push. Also note that they will buzz if they're not centered in the lower valve cap (they're usually notched to fit a spring in the middle). Stretching and bending springs runs the risk of ruining the spring that you're trying to adjust I would advise just using the right spring in the first place. Any technician should have a large assortment o springs and should be able to order more if you don't have a perfect fit.

Originally posted by: prototypedenNISThe size of felt is important for the alignment of the ports so this is something that it is often good to have a repair tech look at when you're getting regular maintenance.
    That's an important point. The first time you do this, go to a good tech and have the correct size felt/washers installed. While you are there, buy a couple extra sets from the tech. If they horn gets noisy later, you can easily replace the felts with ones that you know are the correct size.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

as most of us techs don't get felts from too many places, you could just memorize what colour your felts are supposed to be (if they get really nasty) as the different sizes are coloured differently.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

JP

JP, One of the best ways to see if you need new springs is to press the valve down and then let your finger slip off of the fingerbutton. If the valve goes up and stops without bounceing then your valve springs are fine. Valve felt should be checked by your tech and replaced if needed.

I disagree with the claim that most tech get there valve felt from one supplier and therefor you can get the right size by color. I have three different suppliers and most of the time the felts I use are white.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Olson

Minneapolis, MN

10. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

I would never suggest sliding a finger off a button, this applies side pressure which can make the valve catch. I do agree that the valves should not bounce, that being said, I haven't found a spring that's weakened that much without getting noisy enough to be replaced first (as long as the right spring was used in the first place).

Where do you get felts from? We get ours from Allied (the universal felts). Most of the shops I've seen get parts from as few suppliers as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast