Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

1. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

The sliding finger thing is as a diagnostic tool only and NO harm can come of this. We get our felts from Smith, Kraus, Allied and Ferrees.

Where are working from? Could be we have met if you are a NAPBIRT member.

Jerry

2. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

We use the same suppliers, we don't order too much from Ferrees unless a tool wears out, mostly Allied (Allied's been cheaper and much faster to ship).
    My boss (store owner and repair tech still does some repairs but is busy runnig the store) and our head woodwind technician are both Napbirt members. I apprenticed under our old repair manager for 5 years and have been flying solo for 3 and have not joined NAPBIRT.
    I'm at Quest Musique in Winnipeg, MB, Canada.

3. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

I have ONE noisy valve; it's the #4 on my 3+1-style horn. And man, it really makes a clatter (on rebound) because its location gives it more brass to serve as a sounding board.

Valves 1 thru 3 all have black rubberized (neoprene?) rebound 'felts' that work very well and look like they will never wear out; the #4 is ordinary felt.

I would like to go with the rubberized type if possible. I don't know their source, as they came on the horn as purchased from the previous owner.

Information? Advice?

4. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

the neoprene felts will harden over time.
    bring it to a tech, let him open up the case of felts and fit one for you.

5. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

Warum,

Maybe some silly questions for a pro like you, but your 4th valve should be as noiseless as the others.

Are you sure the spring is alligned correctly (not touching metal on the side and seated well), and it is the correct spring? The spring for the 4th side valve is usually somewhat weaker than the springs for the other 3 top valves (at least my Besson has such a spring for it's 4th valve, and it works just fine).

Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

Is the #4 felt roughly the same thickness of the black washer on 123? If so, I would temporarily swap and put a black rubber washer on 4. See if it is quiet then. If so, it's a good clue!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Replacing valve felts, washers and springs

Are your cap threads loose? Grease threads.
    Definitely swap the felts and check to see whether that felt is just too thin.
    4th valve generally end up being different for several minor parts for 3+1's. Different sized caps, different thicknesses of felts, different width of spring.
    Check to make sure the finger button is tight, that the valve cap isn't cross threaded.

Let us know if anything fixes it or if you find any other symptoms!

I realize I'm responding to an old post, but it caught my eye when browsing topics. I'm getting valve "thump" on my Adams E1 and assume I need new felts. Are they sold already sized for a particular instrument model, or are they cut to size from a sheet? And is replacing them best done by a tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I realize I'm responding to an old post, but it caught my eye when browsing topics. I'm getting valve "thump" on my Adams E1 and assume I need new felts. Are they sold already sized for a particular instrument model, or are they cut to size from a sheet? And is replacing them best done by a tech?
    I advise contacting your Adams dealer and getting a replacement set. Note that they are usually supplied in 2 plastic bags, one with 7 pads plus one with a single pad. The latter is for the top of the 4th piston, and is slightly thinner than the others. If the thumb happens when you press down, you might want to order a set of the valve-cap rings as well.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, David.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast