Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Chinese euph

I recently bought a new Wessex Dolce, and am very happy with it. There are few dealers who can compare with Wessex in offering Western style customer service, while selling you a comparatively inexpensive Chinese stencil. And their quality control is excellent.

I have not had dealings with Jim Laab myself, but the blogosphere is filled with warnings about that dealer.

Bottom line, you can pay twice as much for a Wessex, but when you have to replace a cheaper instrument in a year or two, you are already paying twice as much.

I do not own stock in, nor work for Wessex. I am just a satisfied customer.😀

I bought a Mack Brass Euphonium in 2016. I've had zero problems with it. My oldest used it for two years of High School and I have it back now and play in church almost weekly. Its a nice horn at a great price. (Prices are unchanged since I purchased in 2016). At $995 for a silver plated horn it is a great deal in my opinion.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

3. A little late to this party, but as I was play testing euphoniums before buying my Adams I was really impressed by the Wessex Dolce's overall tone and intonation. I felt like it had a pretty free-blowing feel, solid (nothing to really write home about) pedals/compensating register, and nice high tones. It's a little more than $600 (I'm seeing $1200-1500 USD brand new). I have a classmate that got one in college and she still plays on the instrument and performs regularly in our region, and it does well in front of orchestras, though I find it struggles a bit to project in front of a wind ensemble. Playing in the ensemble as the euphonium part doesn't seem to be an issue, though.

I agree fully with Davidus1 about the Mack. I had one for a while and it was a solid performer. I used in several brass groups/wind ensembles and received positive feedback in all of them.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

I've been very pleased with my Mack brass euphonium. Great value for the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12