Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a baritone or a euphonium?

Is this a baritone or a euphonium?

Could someone please tell me whether this is a baritone or a euphonium? The description on ebay says it's a Besson 2-20 euphonium, but the "plumbling" looks a lot like a baritone. See URL below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Besson-2-20-Euph...3%3A1|294%3A50

Thank you,

From the 1958 Besson Catalog:

With apologies to Shakespeare ... "What's in a name? That which we call a bari-phonium ... by any other name would sound as sweet":

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2.jpg   Picture 3.jpg  

Thanks for sending the pictures and the specs. The description on ebay seems inconsistent with the pictures and the specs you sent me -- 12" bell but 0.516 bore (not 0.579 per the catalog). I'm glad I asked for advice before bidding. I'm trying to find a front-valve euphonium similar to the Yamaha YEP-211/211S for my son, who is being switched from trumpet (Bach TR300 and Eastman 420G) to euphonium. By the way, the fit and finish of the Eastman (which is made in China) is excellent. The valves are tight and the slides are smooth, which is a testament to the quality of some horns coming out of China today. The sound is solid and the instrument is free blowing -- better than the Bach in my opinion. If I have one complaint about the Eastman, it would be the lack of quality control when it comes to the threading on the valve caps -- rough and inconsistent. Since I'm neither a trumpet player nor a euphonium player, my frame of reference is limited to a 9 1/2" Bach Stad. bass trombone with double triggers, which I owed and played in high school from 1976 to 1977. Can you recommend a front-valve euphonium that can see my son through high school and not cost as much as the Yamaha? Thanks again for your time.

It's likely that the e-bay horn is a 2-20 English Bore Baritone, which the catalog lists as having a bore of .516.

Coincidentally, Wichita Band Instruments is currently listing a Besson 2-20 mode 550 (.580 bore), though I think the starting and the Buy-It-Now prices are exhorbitant.

When I was in public school, King was the 1000 lb. gorilla, though by the time I graduated from HS Yamaha had started to establish a foothold.

King (still) calls it's valve-front models "baritones" (except for the 623, which is a 3/4 size horn) and it's valve-up models "euphoniums," even though both are conical instruments. Currently, they offer both 3- and 4-valve (Diplomat and Artist, respectively) bell-front and bell-up models in lacquer and silverplate. Generally, however, prices are not significantly cheaper than Yamaha's.

Jupiter and Weril. Again, however, AFAIK, they only offer valve-up models.

I played a Besson 2-20 for awhile about 8 or 9 years ago in a brass band. It was a British bore baritone with a pretty small bore (around .516). I was playing the baritone part then... not euphonium.

It looked more like this Besson 2-20 only silver:

see this link:
    http://www.brass-forum.co.uk/y...ents/Besson_Horn_1.jpg
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all your advice. I decided on a reconditioned Olds baritone horn (euphonium) for my son (see specs below). $500 + $50 shipping/handling to Hawaii. I have some questions about mouthpieces for a trumpet player converting to euphonium, but I'll post those on another forum. Thanks again,

Keithhf

SERIAL#: 157XXXMODEL: Upright BellMADE IN: Fullerton California - USA CIRCA : 1955KEY OF: BbMADE OF: Brass VALVES: 3 Valve Piston Upright. Upright Bell. FINISH ON BODY: Clear Lacquer. Has 0% Wear. Complete Restoration With New Lacquer. BORE: .570 BELL: 11.5" LENGTH: 31"

7. Is this a baritone or a euphonium?

congrats on the olds, they don't make em like they used to, in fact Olds doesn't make anything...

great company.

Originally posted by: prototypedenNIS congrats on the olds, they don't make em like they used to, in fact Olds doesn't make anything.

You might say they're yesterday's news.

I'm debating whether tp fix the form-fitted hard shell case or buy a universal ABS/Wood/Nylon case. The seller suggested a leather repair shop, but I'm not sure we have any in town -- except for shoe/luggage repair stores.

If the repair is to the covering rather than the structural integrity of the case, a luggage or shoe repair shop will be fine. I would recommend a luggage shop because they will likely be more experienced in this type of repair.

IMO, and assuming the original case is structurally sound, the form-fitted case is preferable to a generic, one-size-kinda-sorta-maybe-fits-all case, especially if the form-fitted case is original.

If the form-fitting case is not structurally sound, I check with woodworkers to see whether it could be repaired or how much it would cost to duplicate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast