Thread: Civil War Brass Band groups and music

1. Civil War Brass Band groups and music

I'm becoming intrigued with these historical groups and wondered is any forum members have participated. How is it different from regular brass ensembles? How "authentic" is instrumentation? Also, are there any sources for the period-correct arrangements. (At what point is a Saxhorn Not a Baritone horn?) I'm not a civil war re-enactment person but the history of (low) brass in America is quite interesting.

2. Civil War Brass Band groups and music

Reaaly no respondents? I would have thought we would have had a couple of participants here.

Civil War Brass Band groups and music

Sorry - different strokes...

I knew a couple folks in California who were very into that, but I don't think there are following the forum and I don't have emails for them (when we used to correspond I was still in the band and it was snail mail).

Danny Vinson used to be into this, but I don't think he is a regular forum reader, either. He's at North Texas State now; don't know if the CW Bands are big down there or not.

It's certainly nothing I've thought about doing so far. I had enough marching gigs while in high school, college, and the Coast Guard Band!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Civil War Brass Band groups and music

Worth a shot, you know. I suspected that those folks might typically be regular euph players who did the antique-instrument thing as as offshoot interest. And the whole saxhorn-baritone connection seemed to be a natural (or a sharp/flat-sorry). I did locate a group in Long Beach Calif. at Long Beach City College and another-maybe with the LB Salvation Army. Dave, I can understand your reluctance to hit the tarmac again!! Thank-you.

Civil War Brass Band groups and music

What would you like to know?

I am a member of an adult group and conduct one at my high school.