X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmflyer
    • Mar 2009

New Euph player

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to Dave and everyone who actively shares information on this website! I'm a trombone player, but due to personnel changes in my wind ensemble I began playing euphonium last October. At first I borrowed a Yamaha from the local high school, and within 4 months decided to purchase my own instrument. This site has been a tremendous resource for me, both in choosing an instrument and subsequently for maintaining it. I had almost no experience with valve instruments, so the experiences and insights of this group played a huge role in my transition to the euphonium.

After trying a number of instruments (Yamaha, Besson, King, and Willson), I settled on a Willson 2950 previously owned by a student wrapping up his masters in music performance. The horn is in excellent condition (although I did find that college students don't always clean their instruments regularly!). I've thoroughly cleaned it, purchased the right accessories (mouthpieces, oil, and gig bag), and picked up some great playing tips... all from feedback on this site.

I am not a music professional, but I take my playing seriously and thoroughly enjoy improving my skills on this wonderful instrument. Thanks again for this website and the willingness of all to share their experiences?

- Curt

• davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

New Euph player

Originally posted by: wmflyer...(although I did find that college students don't always clean their instruments regularly!)...
    Yeah, well... don't look inside MY horn right now!

I'm sure I speak for all of us in thanking your for your remarks and saying we're glad to share our experiences!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
      • Feb 2006

New Euph player

Don't worry Dave, the Professionals I've known have always had the dirtiest instruments.
      A Local multi brass playing pro brought in his vbone last year. The leadpipe was visually blocked when looking through, when we put a trombone cleaning rod inside to check and see how bad the blockage was before we started cleaning it, it was crunchy sounding.

We had to clean the ultrasonic tank out after... that was just the valve section.

Comment

• wmflyer
        • Mar 2009

New Euph player

I will admit I've been spoiled for most of my playing career. I can thoroughly clean my trombone in about the same time as it took to take care of one valve on the euphonium...

Comment

Working...
        X