X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

Warburton Demondrae Thurman model

In my on-going quest to find the mythical magic mouthpiece, I have been testing a gold-plated Warburton Demondrae Thurman model, courtesy of John (JTJ), for the past month.

As a point of reference, I've been playing a Doug Elliott XT-I with a gold plated 103 rim (1.030"/26.16mm) since mid-Feb; prior to that, I played a Wick Heritage 4BL and a Perantucci PT4C. The DE is extremely comfortable, highly responsive, and very efficient. The 103 rim, however, is a significant step-up in size from the Heritage 4BL (25.90mm) and PT4C (25.85mm), which results in an occasional double buzz on the fourth partial F#-G-Ab (BC), which Mr. Elliott diagnosed as likely to be caused the combination of the 103 rim being a bit too large and the slipperiness of the gold plating as compared to silver.

The  idiosyncrasies of mfgs' measuring practices notwithstanding, the DT is identical to the DE 103 in diameter. I get the double buzz with the DT as well, though when it does occur, I find it somewhat easier to regain control with the DT, possibly due to the wider rim.

The DT rim is noticeably wider (a good 1mm) than the DE XT-103 rim. Since I play with moderately heavy mpc pressure, the wider rim - which spreads the pressure over a wider surface area - translates into increased endurance, particularly in the upper register. It also seems to helps anchor the corners, which translates into a more controlled buzz. I also find that I don't have to shift as much to negotiate range breaks: a very good thing, since I have so many.

The bite of the DT appears to be and feels sharper than that of the DE and the Heritage, but is still very comfortable. Articulation has never been my strong suit, but the DT plays a cleaner than the DW and Wick Heritage, particularly from the second line Bb (BC) down.

The other physical characteristic worth mentioning is that the DT is a heavy-top mouthpiece. While not as heavy as the Bach Megatone, Wick heavytop, or PS Solo, it has noticeably heavier and places more mass in the rim and cup than my DE XT or the various Schilkes, Bachs, Wicks, Wick Heritages, Steve Meads, Yamahas, Perantuccis, and Joseph Kliers I've tried.

The DT matches well with my Virtuoso and produces an attractive, vibrant, singing sound. This came as something of a surprise since, as I have noted in other threads, the heavy-top mouthpieces I've tried previously have given a heavy, dull sound when paired with my Virtuoso. The DT sound has a sheen to it that I haven't gotten with any of the other mouthpieces I've tried to date: it sizzles without becoming bright, and has more presence. The additional mass does extract a price in terms of the speed of response in comparison to the DE and Heritage, though.

Intonation is pretty much a wash, except for the sixth partials (untriggered), where the DT is 4-6 cents better and is relatively easy to lip into tune.

The DT, however, is a more work than the DE. Owing to the wider throat (.290" vs. the XT-I's .273), it requires stronger chops and more air. This is especially evident below the second and above the sixth partials. As might be predicted, the lower resistance of the wider throat yields a fuller, more open sound in the low and pedal registers, at the expense of range in the high register.

Due to the additional mass, it takes more energy to initiate and sustain notes,. Soft attacks and entrances require more precise control of air, articulation, and buzz to initiate cleanly, i.e., without either an audible "pop" or "huff" on the front end; and soft dynamics (p and below) require more air and more support to sustain. I find myself fluffing soft entrances more frequently than with the DE, and sustained soft notes, and soft playing generally, require a higher conscious level of focus on maintaining an even air stream.

Finally - and somewhat surprisingly given the general tendency of heavy mpcs to improve slotting at the expense of flexibility - the slotting is looser than on the DE, so the DT requires more precise fine motor control of the embouchure at the point of attack to avoid scooping notes into pitch, and to avoid unintentional bending of sustained notes.

At this point, it's more-or-less a toss-up between the DE and DT: the DE has the edge in responsiveness and efficiency, but the DT edges out the DE in sound, endurance, and ease of articulation. At this point, I find myself reaching the DE in performance situations because I've been playing it longer and have more confidence that all the notes will be there when I need them, regardless of range or dynamic level, than I do with the DT. A secondary, though not unimportant, consideration in favor of the DE is the option to swap out the 103 for a smaller rim to address the double buzz; though it is possible to order a scaled down DT as a custom order, the cost is significantly greater than that of a DE rim.)

In the end, however, I keep coming back to the DT because of the sound. While the DT may not be the magic mouthpiece of legend, I find the sound I get from it sufficiently alluring to justify further, serious, woodshedding with the DT to attempt to overcome the size and responsiveness issues identified above.

As always, however, YMMV.

• Snorlax
    • Mar 2007

Hi, Felix...

I am coming to visit my mother soon (2nd week of Aug. or so); I want to get in a church with you and JTJ and ask you to listen...horns, mouthpieces, in all permutations and combinations!!

You both seem to be thorough testers, keen-eared listeners, and fine players, so I'll look forward to meeting you both in person if possible.

Looking forward to a meeting when I get to NC...if we get together, beverages are on me!

Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• fsung
      • Feb 2008

Jim,PM sent.Felix.

Comment

• DutchEupho
        • Apr 2006

Hi Felix,

I wonder if you still use the DT and why you might have discarded it. I’d like to hear how you and other forum members would compare the DT to other mouthpieces.
        Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
        Trombone: Benge 175F

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

Hi DutchEupho,

Just a heads-up... This is a pretty old discussion thread. I've not seen Felix post here in about 5 of 6 years now.

I still have the DT mpc but don't use it often. It sounds great on my M5050 but it's just a bit too large for me. I use a Warburton Brandon Jones model. Terry Warburton and co. make some really great pieces.
          Last edited by RickF; 07-24-2017, 08:35 AM.
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

I started using the DT mouthpiece when I got my Miraphone M5050 over 3 years ago. I liked it a lot and asked my wife for a gold plated version for Christmas. I own two DT mouthpieces now. When I sold my Miraphone a year and a half ago to get an Adams (6 month wait), I bought a Wessex Dolce euphonium to bridge the gap. I used the DT on that horn. And when my Adams arrived a little over a year ago, I used the gold plated DT on that horn. I keep the silver DT in my Wessex case for when I use that horn in certain places and situations where I don't want to risk getting my Adams hurt.

In short, I love this mouthpiece. I tried Wick 4AL, Wick SM3, Wick SM3U and several others, and I kept coming back to the DT. It just works great for me. I do, however, sometimes get a "double buzz", as mentioned by the OP above on his DE mouthpiece, if those are the right words, on notes in the range of low Eb (third space of the staff). I noticed this with the gold plated mouthpiece, but it usually goes away quickly and seems to be somewhat a function of being warmed up. I can also adjust my embouchure to alleviate this tendency when it happens. Not really a big deal but I was interested in that phenomena when I read the OP.

I think the sound that I can create with the DT is the main reason I use it. Also endurance seems good with this piece and I don't have trouble slotting notes. But I do play a fair bit, so my chops are pretty well in shape.
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

Working...
            X