Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured solos

Featured solos

My name is James and i am a incoming junior in high school. My band director and i have agreed to have me as a featured soloist!!! I need some ideas for a croud thriller. My highest note i can play well is D above high b-flat. and i can triple tongue as well as double tongue well. Thanks for all the advice.
    P.S I play on a Besson prestige 2052 so low B nat. shouldn't be a problem.
    James Long
    Besson 2052
    SM3U
    Falcone Finalist
    Oakland University Brass Band

Featured solos

Here's my contribution for a solo and band:

Horizons

This is a live solo with piano version:

Air No. 28

Regards,

Ken

3. Featured solos

My contributions

Canzonetta for Euphonium and Band (Euphonium Solo with Band) by Aldo Rafael Forte, Grade 3, duration 7:00
    http://www.heritageofamericaba.../recordings/solo!.asp
    Its out print but I have an unused copy

Yellow Rose of Texas Variations Buckley, Lewis
    i love the 'slow" movement' I often wish I could lift it out into another piece (most recently bolivar). there is audio at Cimmaron
    http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm

Buckley, Lewis An American Portrait. This one is just fun to play with a chance to lyrical, joyous, vibrant, somber and clownish (hamish?). audio at Cimmaron

Endearing charms Dave's of course but you have to shoe horn it into somebody else's band version. I've actually never given a public performance of this one, I thought cool not to perform charms, it was soo popular and just everybody was playing it , but I played Auld Lang Syne a lot. There was a book on ebay on arranging from brass band to military band I was going buy Dave for christmas but it sold for surprising number of pennies

Featured solos

If you can triple tongue well, have good fingers and intonation, a feel for lyrical as well as technical paying, and a good band behind you, it is impossible to beat the Sparke "Fantasy for Euphonium" as a showpiece.

Plus, the band score is not that expensive.

Here's Dave playing it:

http://tiny.cc/5fjAw

Featured solos

Yesterday i was going through some euph. recordings and i found the Arban version of carnival of Venice and the Clarke version. I was wondering what version is better suited for wind band accompaniment? Also what are some other good Clarke pieces? I really appreciate the advice.
    James
    P.S thanks for the recomindations i am checking them out!
    James Long
    Besson 2052
    SM3U
    Falcone Finalist

Featured solos

You should try to play When Jesus Wept too just for some lyrical expresion....as long as you have a good audience.

And if you're looking for a "crowd thriller"...The Melody Shop. But it depends on how good your band is.

I like the Arban version of COV better.

Featured solos

Arban vs. Clarke COV:

It depends on the situation. The Clarke is short and snappy. If you want to program something for a 5-minute slot it's a very good choice. The Arban is much longer and allows you to show much more about your playing, but it eats a larger piece of the program pie, so...

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Featured solos

Mr. Werden Thanks for the idea about time slots I never thought about that. I will have to talk to my director. With some of these turn of the century solos there are a lot of cadenzas. How do you write a good cadenza? Thanks for the advice.
    James Long
    James Long
    Besson 2052
    SM3U
    Falcone Finalist

9. Featured solos

For a Clarke number, you might consider Southern Cross or Shores of the Mighty Pacific. Getting the band accompaniment for Shores is a bit of an issue since it is long out of print.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Featured solos

Originally posted by: euper101How do you write a good cadenza?
    It's variable. First idea might be to incorporate some of the phrases from the solo, assembled in different and clever ways. Another option is to include a personal choice that might appeal to the audience, such as a school fight song (lightly disguised) or the like.

Most pros would build a cadenza based on patterns they are really good at. But no matter how you do it, you need to move gracefully from the band's previous phrase and have some "motion" to your cadenza. By the end you have to find a way to lead into the ending of the piece in a way that is compelling. In other words, when the band plays their last few notes, it should sound like a logical conclusion to what you just did.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast