Thread: New to site - Looking for information

New to site - Looking for information

I hope there it's okay that I made a separate topic even though there are already topic for purchasing, but I didn't want to steal someone else's topic... I am going into college now and I've been renting my whole carrer so far. Mostly playing on YEP-321. Now I am looking to purchase my own horn, but I am under a budget constraint and I don't want to downgrade on the quality of horn. I really don't know much of anything about the process and what I should do. I think below $2000 is about as much as I have for a purchase at the moment, but I don't have enough experience to interpret the information about price vs. quality from what I'm seeing online. Sorry I don't have a more specific question, but I'm a little lost and just looking for some direction.

Thank you,

Devin

2. New to site - Looking for information

Dear Devin,

You did not say where you will be going to college or whether you will be a music major or not. If you plan to be a music major and take lessons from a college level instructor, I STRONGLY suggest that you contact that instructor for suggestions and direction. Often the teacher has contacts for used instruments, etc. In addition, the teacher will have a pretty good idea what kind of instrument would suit you best. You definitely do NOT want to purchase a random horn and show up for your first lesson with a college level instructor and have him or her say "your instrument is inappropriate for this level of performance, please sell it and get a different one...."

The limited advice I can give you is that typical prices on eBay for good to near new quality Yamaha YEP-321 (lacquer or silver) are in the $1000 - $1500 range. Professional quality compensating horns in good to almost new condition typically run from $2500 on up.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hello Devin,

Welcome to the forum.

It would be be helpful if you could tell us a little more about your musical aspirations going forward. As Doug points out, a horn that is appropriate for a non-music major (or minor), like the 321, may not be appropriate for someone who aspires to a career in musical performance; on the other hand, if you'll be playing primarily in marching and pep bands, the added weight of a compensating horn may prove to be a nuisance.

The 321 is a solid intermediate level horn. It has a good track record for quality and durability, the intonation is extremely good, and it retains its value better than most of its competitors.

On the down side, it is a small shank horn. (Most competing intermediate-level non-compensating euphs, like the King 2280, Jupiter 570, Besson 7065, et al. are large shank). That could be an issue down the road if/when you decide to move up to a compensating horn. (Of course, at that point, the 4-top valve arrangement, as opposed to the 3+1 arrangement found on all recent and current model compensating euphs would also be an issue.)

The 321 is also slightly-to-significantly more expensive than many of its competitors.

Originally posted by: darubyIf you plan to be a music major and take lessons from a college level instructor, I STRONGLY suggest that you contact that instructor for suggestions and direction.
    I concur.

If you are planning to major or minor in music, you might want to consider holding off on purchasing a horn until your instructor has a chance to become familiar with your playing style and concept of sound so he or she can assist you in choosing a model that best fits your individual preferences. Having an extra trained set of ears listening as you try different horns and an experienced eye helping to assess the overall playability of a given horn and how well a particular model fits your build and playing style can save you from making a poor or inappropriate choice for YOU.

Ah! Well. I will start with that then. Sorry for not including this before. I am going to the University of North Texas and I will be majoring in music. Which would mean then that I would be studying with Dr. Bowman, I suppose. Hm... This is good advice! I will be talking to him when I can receive a response. Thank you.

Originally posted by: Kninja Ah! Well. I will start with that then. Sorry for not including this before. I am going to the University of North Texas and I will be majoring in music. Which would mean then that I would be studying with Dr. Bowman, I suppose. Hm... This is good advice! I will be talking to him when I can receive a response. Thank you.
    Dr. Bowman plays on the Willson 2900, euro shank (I believe), so it stands to reason that he's an advocate of the Willson euph.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that he'd recommend that particular horn for you. As has already been said by fsung and daruby, two guys who clearly know what they're talking about, it's best to discuss with your instructor before purchase.

Good luck!

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

6. New to site - Looking for information

Ah-ha....had you said you were going to UNT I would have simplified my answer. Check with Dr. Bowman. Performers at UNT play a variety of instruments, but a euro-shank Willson 2900 with DEG-Bowman BB1 mouthpiece is the most common equipment. I have heard a number of UNT performers who sound wonderful on this equipment (including former Falcone award winners as well as this years finalists).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band