Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased my York 4052!!!!!!!

Just purchased my York 4052!!!!!!!

Hey all,

After many months of saving, my family and I have purchased a silver york 4052 eminence euphonium from the salvation army at an excellent price. I have really gotten attracted to this horn and I'm really excited to have it!!!

I have to play it for a week straight then I'm doing a blind listening test with four mouthpieces (4 al, ps solo, sm3, alliance e2) with James Jackson.

Thanks for all that have helped me with my questions and inspiration to finally get this thing bought.

I know my website is stupid...but now I have to change all the pics...

John

2. Just purchased my York 4052!!!!!!!

John,

Congratulations on the new York 4052. I am sure you will love that horn. I hope you have a chance to meet and talk to Roland Froescher when you come up for your one day C-TEW visit this summer. Roland is a York artist and plays wonderfully. Roland studied under Thomas Ruedi and Roger Bobo and is now plays with Les Tubadours with Reudi.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Yeah I've always wanted to meet him...he seems like a pretty dandy character.

I have his CD and love it...it was very inexpensive but the music is PHENOMENAL!!

4. Just purchased my York 4052!!!!!!!

If I were to purchase an instrument from the salvation army where would I do it?

Originally posted by: Lysterman If I were to purchase an instrument from the salvation army where would I do it?

AFAIK, SA does not sell new instruments.

Used SA band owned instruments, when available, are usually "shopped around" to other SA band before they are made available for sale to private individuals. (At least that's the case in the US.)

You will likely have to contact the selling band directly to purchase an instrument offered for sale.

You can purchase brand new instruments from the salvation army in Georgia...you just need to have a reference.

They are brand new and they are the cheapest you'll find.

Originally posted by: DelVento You can purchase brand new instruments from the salvation army in Georgia...you just need to have a reference. They are brand new and they are the cheapest you'll find.
    Unless the SA's policy has changed in the last 4-5 years, strictly speaking, one must be a member of a SA band (and therefore, effectively, a member of the SA) to qualify to purchase an instrument through the SA.

Truth be told, however, the policy isn't always strictly followed (if, indeed, it is followed at all), which—IMO—represents a significant compromise of the who the SA are and what they represent.

Yeah as long as you have a reference.

And the salvation army is a service oganization and it's broad goal is to help musicians I guess...

The Georgia SA is the one with the instruments.

Originally posted by: DelVento Yeah as long as you have a reference. And the salvation army is a service oganization and it's broad goal is to help musicians I guess... The Georgia SA is the one with the instruments.
    I don't mean to derail the conversation about horn availability through the Salvation Army, in Georgia or elsewhere, but I have to chime in on this. Apologies beforehand for the temporary derailment.

I'd suggest that the Salvation Army's broad goal is to help others, irrespective of background/ability/ethnic group/economic class, in a Christian way.

I'm not a Salvationist, but I have enjoyed a long association with the organization. As a charitable group, I find that the organization is not perfect, but then again no organization ever is. Even still, I look first to the SA when it's time to contribute to worthy causes because their record for efficiency is one of the best.

I don't know the process whereby a Salvationist (or anybody else working through a Salvationist) can get a horn, but if there's a benefit in being associated with an organization - in whatever way - I don't see a problem with that.

I would find it hard to believe that any seller of a horn is actually losing money on the deal.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Originally posted by: DelVento Yeah as long as you have a reference. And the salvation army is a service oganization and it's broad goal is to help musicians I guess... The Georgia SA is the one with the instruments.
    Although the public generally perceives the SA as a service organization, the SA is, in fact, a church (hence, the SALVATION in Salvation Army). SA social ministries are an outgrowth of the SA conviction that authentic Christian ministry must be wholistic, encompassing the needs of body, soul, and spirit.

Again, unless the policy has changed recently, the reference is to be supplied by an SA officer, i.e.SA clergy, who attests that that the purchaser is a member of an SA band AND that the instrument will be used primarily to support the mission and witness of the SA. In light of that, for an SA officer to provide that reference knowing that either of both of those conditions is not true would, IMO, entail a not insignificant personal moral compromise, as well as undermine the institutional integrity of the SA.

[From 1985-1990, I studied and taught at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, KY which, with its sister institution, Asbury College, was and is one of the primary centers for graduate and post-graduate theological education and cross-cultural training of SA officers. (Wilmore is also home to the Southern Territorial Headquarters of the SA.) During that time, I lived next door to Captains Bob and Cindy Watson, directors of the SA Student Ministry Center in Wilmore.

The Watsons, who remain close friends, are the source of my information for up-to-the-minute news on all things SA. I'm e-mailing Bob to ask whether the policy has changed, but I would be very surprised if it has.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast