Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B flat above middle C

1. B flat above middle C

Almost a year ago I asked for help in improving my high range. Dave Werden responded with helpful advice. However, for some reason I cannot play a B flat above middle C. I should mention I play treble clef. I can go up the scale without difficulty playing G, G sharp, A, B, and C but no b flat.

B flat above middle C

It sounds like you may have some other issues going on. The exercises I pointed to before are great if your embouchure is working correctly. But if there is something deficient in the way your chops work, you are just building strength that can't work well for you.

You might check the videos on my collections. Look at some of the good trumpet, trombone, and euphonium players. Check out their chops. One thing in common is that the mouthpiece doesn't flatten their lips down or restrict them. They keep enough muscle poise behind the mouthpiece that they have control in various ranges.

Most times the upper lip is just a kind of anchor, and the lower lip is actually doing most of the moving. Check it out.

Euphonium videos

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

B flat above middle C

I have the same problem. Many years ago, I had stitches in my upper lip and was a trumpet player at the time. some years later I switched to euph and about a year ago when I changed mouthpieces, experienced the same thing - not being able to play the b-flat. I discovered (by accident) that by moving my embouschure I was able to play a solid b-flat. I'm guessing the scar tissue on my lip was hindering the buzz and by moving the mp to a different place allowed the proper movement/vibration. Just my theory. Good luck.

4. B flat above middle C

Thanks Dave. I'll bring up the videos and see if I can get some ideas.

Dick

5. B flat above middle C

And thanks to coeuphplayer too. When you moved your embouture so that you could play the B flat did it cause you a problem with any other notes? I played baritone in high school using a school horn so that after I graduated I didn't touch a horn for about 65 years. It has taken me a year and a half of rebuilding my embouture and this B flat has left me stumped. I'll give your suggestions a good try and will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Dick

B flat above middle C

I did experience temporary issues with the low register, but was quickly back to 'normal' .

7. B flat above middle C

I have a Hemiparalysis of the upper lip (and of the entire right side of my body for that matter) and my mouthpiece position is a compromise, to get as much good mucsle into my embrochure and to have enough coverage on the right for a good seal so that I am not leaking air and spraying spittle about the room. I have the same problem with A-flat concert. It doesn't seem to bother me in runs up and down but landing on a sustained note I tend to slip up to a B-flat. I use 1-3 fingering for the a-flat concert with normal slotting, problem solved.

speaking of embrochure position look at this trombone player Big Chief Russel Moore. I met the Chief in 1964-5, the the assistant principle at my high school was a childhood friend of his. I was dying to ask but didn't.
    I suspect the problem was dental in nature which was taken of by natural processes in a world without floridated water but yet he persisted with that crazy embrochure, his trademark. I've asked several trombone players who knew him over the years, the answer to a man "all the that matters is the sound, man, the sound".

http://www.dailymotion.com/vis...trongindiana1965_music

http://www.bigchiefmoore.org/RussellMoore.htm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigChief.jpg  

8. B flat above middle C

Hey Scapino,

Thanks for your input. The latest on this changes the whole picture on my problem.
    There are two other baritone players in the current volunteer band I play with and neither of the two were able to play B flat above the staff on my instrument. Evidently there is a problem within my Yamaha YEP 201. I'm currently waiting (two weeks tomorrow) for a reply from Yamaha support.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Dick

B flat above middle C

Is this a used horn? That's an odd problem.

Any major dents?

Is it clean inside? You may have a bad buildup of dirt etc.

Check the valves. On the top of each piston there is usually a small number (may be under the top washer) that says which valve it is. The 1st and 3rd are often similar, but should not be swapped.

Take it apart and look for any obstructions. I loose bottle of valve oil once found its way inside my bell and half-way around the large branch. I had to run a rubber tube through to find the obstruction.

If all looks good, take a wet towel and force it into the bell as far as possible to block the opening. Then blow hard into your mouthpiece and see if you notice any leaking around the valves, through a water key, or through a badly-soldered joint (or etc.).

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. B flat above middle C

Originally posted by: davewerden

Check the valves. On the top of each piston there is usually a small number (may be under the top washer) that says which valve it is. The 1st and 3rd are often similar, but should not be swapped.
    Can i ask why? The only reason I ask is because I have done this...The first valve on my prestige wouldn't work. Kept sticking, no matter how much I did to it (minus lapping). So i swapped the 1st and 3rd valves, and the only thing i've actually noticed is that the Ab above the stave (treble clef) is a little bit flat, but i can't remember if that was the same before hand or not. I've had this like this since...March this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast