Thread: Technical audition help

1. Technical audition help

Hey everyone. I will be a freshmen music major at Missouri State University this fall. I have already auditioned and been accepted as a major, and now have to work on preparing to audition for what ensemble I make it in. I have two main weaknesses. My high range is subpar (I usually top out at the "A" four spaces above the bass clef). I also cannot yet double tongue. Double tonguing I will pick up in time, but my high range frustrates me to no end. I have already browsed the forums and read some suggestions as to increase high range. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any exercises I could do this summer to increase my high range. All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks a ton

Technical audition help

Congrats on starting this fall at Missouri State!

There's an excellent article by Roger Lewis - a professional tuba player and teacher (also works at WWBW) who posted on TubeNet several years ago about playing high. It's very good. Here's the direct link to his post:

Developing high range
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

Technical audition help

An exercise I find helpful for range-building is to transpose etudes up (and down) anywhere from a fourth to an octave.I find melodious etudes such as the Bordogni Vocalises (Rochut) particularly good, because they force you to play musically, i.e., in good time, with with good control, good tone, good phrasing, good articulation, good intonation, not just to hit the notes.Another exercise I find helpful is to take a familiar tune in which the melody ascends more or less in whole steps, such as [i]Frere Jacques[i] or Yankee Doodle, and play through it a number of times, starting a semi-tone higher on each successive pass.

4. Technical audition help

Art Lehman on the high note. "the very first thing I want to impress upon you is that there is danger in working on high notes.....overwork.....the worst thing that can happen is paralysis" (of the facial muscles) ....partial, complete , temporary, or permanent. This discussion is not directed to beginners you should be playing at least one hour per day and you can hit your high Bb. Diaphragm control must be 100%. We do need
    to use to use more pressure when we go higher "but we don't want to use more than necessary. Try to pull the mouthpiece away from your lips a bit. When you reach the right pressure you will know it. Four exercises are presented, with exercise B " you should be able to expand your High register by an interval of a third in three to seven days, " with the caveat, "it will do the job but is nothing to be trifled with. I am sure that all euphonium players in good condition will be able to get a good Eb concert."
    (the second one above the staff)
    The Art of Euphonium playing Volume one
    Tuba Euphonium Press
    The Art of Euphonium Playing - Vol-1

This gives you a little more info about Art's books
    http://www.dwerden.com/talk/fo...d=2145&highlight_key=y

Since you haven't reached high Bb I would adapt the exercises to start with "high note F" and work up from there The high notes in the book range from B natural above high Bb and go up to really high F concert. Dialing back on the mouthpiece diameter will help.

<< edited to correct first link >>

Technical audition help

Here's a short article about building high range. Note that the topic is building both strength AND high notes. Both are needed. Also remember that a lot of good teachers say that it is important to build your range out in BOTH directions. That is, work just as hard to get a good low register. It will help you develop overall and seems to help high register development.

Forum topic - building strength and high range

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Technical audition help

Hey guys. I wanted to give you a report and say how happy I am for all the wonderful advice I got!!!! Mr. Werden the techniques you gave are great for feeling the note and Fsung, I ordered the rochut and use it to play the notes with more intonation and quality. That high Bb is sure coming along. My main concern is that (as of right now) I am not even playing on a euphonium. I practice on my euph. baritone hybrid bell front instrument I got in 6th grade. When I start classes in a little over a month [ ] I will be playing a menl weston 451 or yamaha 642. While I am thrilled to play on one, will my range suffer going to a large bore instrument that is so much bigger?