Thread: Black Dyke at Leeds Met

Black Dyke at Leeds Met

These videos were just uploaded May 29th and June 1st (Dr. Nick Childs director). They are awesome and worth your time!

"University partners Black Dyke Band returned to Leeds Met for a weekend feast of music. Friday's inaugural lecture by Professor Nick Childs is now available to view online. The Black Dyke Brass Festival gave students, staff and partners the opportunity to listen to music from the most famous brass band in the world."

Black Dyke Brass Festival Gala Concert: Part One
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...feature=channel

Black Dyke Brass Festival Gala Concert: Part Two

...David Thornton performs Philip Wilby's Euphonium Concerto in this segment.

Nick Childs on the History of Brass Bands:

Enjoy
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Black Dyke at Leeds Met

What inspiring music! All of the pieces were incredible, but one of the performances really moved me for ways I can hardly put into words. That piece was Elgar's Severn Suite. In reading up on this piece, I felt vindicated that many experts have called this one of the most significant British Brass Band works of all time.

Anyway, I bought the CD mentioned in the video "Classic Dyke Vol. 1" that had this work. I've certainly enjoyed listening to the Severn Suite, but the CD also has all the Enigma variations. Very impressive stuff. Then I came to variation #12, B.G.N.....I must say THIS solo by David Thornton is about the most haunting 2 minutes and 30 seconds of euphonium playing that I have ever heard. It still gives me the chills, and I've played it a dozen times already today. It is THAT good.

This is certainly my new favorite CD...I bought it for a completely different reason, and then came this unexpected surprise. This is one incredible CD.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

3. Black Dyke at Leeds Met

This last summer, I got to attend a reprise of the Leeds lecture at the Childs brothers IBBSS. A performance by a mixed Black Dyke/Cory group conducted by Robert Childs while Nicholas lectured...Fantastic! One of the highpoints of a week in Wales!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Black Dyke at Leeds Met

Cory and Black Dyke together!? Oh wow! What a treat to hear!

I wonder who played any required euph solos? I know 'David' did, but which one?
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Black Dyke at Leeds Met

Ah yes...David did! Actually, since this is a music camp run by the Childs, generally David Childs is the soloist, but David Thornton is incredibly awesome as well. Of course they both are York artists (who is a major sponsor) and they seem to work together very well. It was really exciting to play in an ensemble with David Childs at my right side!

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Black Dyke at Leeds Met

Originally posted by: darubyIt was really exciting to play in an ensemble with David Childs at my right side! Doug
    So, assuming traditional brass band seating, I take it that means you were the solo euph?

7. Black Dyke at Leeds Met

I was not the solo euph. There were 9 or 10 euphs in the Preference band and maybe 18 overall. I was #3 or #4 overall and #2 in the Preference band. I was the highest seated Yank however!

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band