X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prototypedenNIS
    • Feb 2006

Euro Shank

Having tried out many models and makes, I always find myself going back to euro shank euphs. It seems to be one of the most important factors in euphonium sound that I'm finding but is slipping away quick in favour of large shank.

Anybody know of any manufacturers of professional compensating euphs other than Amati that I could look into that do medium shank?

I don't know why I said professional Amati... Willson was who I was thinking of, but Amati was the only other semi reputable company I knew of with euro shank... not pro grade though.
  • Nastynoff
    • Nov 2008

Euro Shank

You could try Wilson, I think they do Euro Shank

Comment

• fsung
      • Feb 2008

Euro Shank

In addition to Willson, there are euro shank Chinese-made stencil euphs that are sold under various labels.

Can't vouch for the quality.>/p>

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Euro Shank

The best solution for a lower price would be to find a used 60's or early 70's vintage Besson New Standard/Imperial in good condition. This is the quintessential euphonium that many of us grew up on before the patent ran out in 1970. Yamaha was first to jump into the compensating game and many others have since joined so that we now have an embarrasment of riches. However, Willson is the only high end manufacturer that I know of currently producing horns that you could buy readily.

Doug

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Euro Shank

FYI: Hirsbrunner offers a horn that has interchangeble receivers. You can simply screw in the medium shank receiver. Then if you change you mind about that or if you want to try a mouthpiece that is only offered in large shank, you can swap out the receiver temporarily to try it.

However, the Hirsbrunner without that option is fitted with a large receiver, so its leadpipe taper may be optimized for that size.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• carbogast
            • Mar 2006

Euro Shank

Does the York 3068 come with a euro shank receiver? It has a .580 bore and (approximately) an 11" bell.

- Carroll
            Carroll Arbogast
            Piano Technician
            CMA Piano Care

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
              • Feb 2006

Euro Shank

Thank you for all the responses.
              I've got a 1935 Salvation Army/Boosey and Hawkes Compensating Euph and I worry sometimes about if I were to replace it, how much I'd need to insure it for and what would be suitable.

BTW, I emailed York, large shank. Guy actually suggested an adaptor. meh...

Comment

• Snorlax
                • Mar 2007

Euro Shank

As someone who went the other way--from Euro to bass--I am curious about your fondness for the "tweener" size.

I had the Euro receiver removed from my Willson and replaced with a bass receiver. This immediately increased the number of mouthpieces available to me by a factor of 10. Additionally, I can't say that I noticed a huge diff in how the horn played.

So...please explain all the love for the "tweener"! You're not the first person I have heard say that. In fact, perhaps Dave can verify that Karl Humble was a great fan of the tweener.

Thanx...
                Jim W.
                Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• RickF
                  • Jan 2006

Euro Shank

There are a number of folks who think the Euro sized (tweener?) is better... something about the taper being more gradual from mpc recvr to horn. Among those that I know of are Carlyle Weber (Willson performing artist) and Gail Robertson (former Willson artist and now York performer). Gail told me not long ago that she's trying to talk York into offering the Euro shank as an option.
                  Rick Floyd
                  Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                  Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                  The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                  Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
                  ​

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
                    • Feb 2006

Euro Shank

My reasoning for the Euro/medium/tweener shank preference is that I've always found that given the definition of a euphonium and it's difference from Baritone, small shank leads to the whole American euph/baritone sound, which isn't really open enough.
                    Whereas a bass/large shank seemed in fact too open, too mellow, and too free blowing. Less euphonium, more Tenor Tuba.

Given the shorter history of the euphonium and the narrow niche within the brass instrument family one could make a case that the defining instruments that the professional euphonium had was the Boosey and Hawkes/Besson euro shank euph.

I guess the difference in tuning stability between the Pre 73 euphs and post also sullied my opinion of large shank and helped me develop my specialized taste as a player.

I've had the opportunity to play many euphs as a repair technician, but usually it all comes down to a specific taste and comparison in playability and tone where I always like the build and playability of a medium shank (other than Amati and Cerveny) while always finding a large shank too large and mellow, and finding small shank to feel like I'm playing a baritone pretending to be a euph.

Comment

• prototypedenNIS
                      • Feb 2006

Euro Shank

I forgot to say, for mouthpieces, most common euph mouthpieces are fully available in euro shank.

I've got/had:
                      Wick:
                      6BM
                      4AM
                      SM4M
                      SM3M

Kelly:
                      51D
                      5G

Bach:
                      6.5AL

mostly, what you have available when moving to a large shank mouthpiece are more commonly used for trombones and bass trombones (curved cups as opposed to funnel). For example A Bach 1G is available, but would a euph player use it?

Also, in this day and age, I could order whatever I'd like with a medium shank on it from Doug Elliot or Bach.
                      It seems limiting at first but the common sizes aren't that hard to get and the other sizes available in large shank generally are irrelevant as 94% of players play a common mouthpiece*.

* +-5% , this is an estimate based on personal experiences and is entirely pulled out of thin air.

Comment

• Snorlax
                        • Mar 2007

Euro Shank

I know that the pieces are available, but they seem to be harder to get & try. Dan Oberloh had a NOS Bach 2, 3, and 4 with Euroshanks, but I could not talk him down from his asking price of $90 per.

What I have always wanted is an IMPERIAL with the euro receiver. I am also not a fan of the "woof-o-matic" sound. Every time I have touched an Imperial, I have wished I could take it home & really get used to it!

As to Bach pieces, I've never used a 1 but have used a 2 on occasion and regularly used a 3 for a while.

I also have an Elliott setup (LT I and gold rim 103) for which I have TWO euro shanks and a bass shank...couldn't tell that much difference in blowing or intonation.
                        (Anyone want to buy the Elliott setup? With TWO euro shanks? Or the shanks alone?)

Perhaps my expectations were too high and I was hoping for a huge change in the horn's characteristics. Or maybe it makes more of a difference on the Bessons than it does on a Willson...interesting discussion!

Cheers,
                        Jim W.
                        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• fsung
                          • Feb 2008

Euro Shank

Jim,PM sent.

Comment

• blueeuph
                            • Feb 2006

Euro Shank

It seems like its harder and harder for new makes of mouthpieces to come out with the euro shank. I personally prefer and sound better with euph's that come with the euro shank. Your mouthpiece options are somewhat limited if you have an euro shank . I'm afraid the euro shank days could be numbered. As far as I know, the Alliance mouthpieces still doesn't come with an euro shank line.

In some ways, its almost like computers with pc's (and different windows version, some are longer officially supported) vs mac's vs a pc with linux on it.

Comment

• TenBassT
                              • Apr 2009

Euro Shank

I play an old 4 valve compensating Besson Bell-forward from the 1950's (see icon) which has the euro-shank. My mpc is a Wick 4AM. I play in several community bands with other Besson big bore Euphoniums and I find that my Bell-forward with the smaller shank has much more punch and presence than the big bore horns. In fact, some players have asked me to move to their blind side, as I was over-powering their soft British sound.

I will be playing with a Brit-style brass band this Summer, so we will see if I get ejected for my American style horn.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X