X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cochranme
    • Sep 2008

New Sterling Valve Caps

A few months back, I asked Paul Riggett if he could make some "regular" heavy valve caps for my 1st-3rd valves, to match the "heavy" heavy valve cap on the 4th valve. Previously, I was playing with a normal cap on the 4th valve and the big heavy 4th cap on my 2nd valve. I found that by moving the 4th cap over to my second valve, it evened up the sound a lot, but I had a lot of vibration in the main slide. Well, out of the blue, they arrived yesterday, and after trying them out, it's mde a huge difference in horn. I now have my ideal instrument: A horn that plays with a, singing tone with lots of core, but with a bit more warmth than the Willson, Hirsbrunner, and Yamaha that I've played, and with a HUGE sound! I think it's great that Sterling can customize a sound to an individual. Kudos to Paul on making an instrument that can be so flexible and accommodating to so many different tastes, and for the great craftsmanship. Here are some pics of the new caps (sorry about the quality, I took them with my phone..)

Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com
  • Eupher6
    • Mar 2009

New Sterling Valve Caps

Originally posted by: cochranme A few months back, I asked Paul Riggett if he could make some "regular" heavy valve caps for my 1st-3rd valves, to match the "heavy" heavy valve cap on the 4th valve. Previously, I was playing with a normal cap on the 4th valve and the big heavy 4th cap on my 2nd valve. I found that by moving the 4th cap over to my second valve, it evened up the sound a lot, but I had a lot of vibration in the main slide. Well, out of the blue, they arrived yesterday, and after trying them out, it's mde a huge difference in horn. I now have my ideal instrument: A horn that plays with a, singing tone with lots of core, but with a bit more warmth than the Willson, Hirsbrunner, and Yamaha that I've played, and with a HUGE sound! I think it's great that Sterling can customize a sound to an individual. Kudos to Paul on making an instrument that can be so flexible and accommodating to so many different tastes, and for the great craftsmanship. Here are some pics of the new caps (sorry about the quality, I took them with my phone..)
    Interesting! I never considered moving the heavy 4th valve cap around like that. Something to experiment with....

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

Working...
    X