Thread: Yamaha 621

Yamaha 621

There is presently a Yamaha 621-S for sale on eBay. Is the 621 an auto compensator? Have any reviews been posted? Couldn't find it on a search. Thanks.

JP

Yamaha 621

I don't think I've ever seen one face-to-face. This seems to be built based on the 321 design (same bore), except with a 3+1 valve setup. It does not have the Blaikley compensating that the typical pro horn has today.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yamaha 621

As Dave Werden stated, the 621 is not an auto-compensator. Since the auction site provided a rear view image, you can tell by the absence of compensator slides or loops on the back of the valve block.

See images below of a YEP-621 (non-comp) and a YEP-641 (comp).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 621.jpg   YEP-641 back.JPG  
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Yamaha 621

It is my understanding that Yamaha still makes this model though not for the North American market.

The bore is larger than the YEP-321 and it has the same MPC receiver as the 642. See specs on Yamaha's UK site here: http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...ds/euphoniums/

My good buddy recently bought a 621 and absolutely loves it. As a former 321 player (and one of the best Euph players I have ever heard perform live), he describes the 621 as having a bigger/richer tone without all the extra weight.

I was looking for one of these horns as an upgrade to the 321 I played for the last three years, but they are not easy to find in the US. If I had not recently purchased 642, I would be bidding on this horn.

Cheers,

John Gibson

Yamaha YEP-642 - G&W Kadja MPC
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Baritone - G&W MPC
    Yamaha YEP-321
    King Bell Front Baritone