• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JP
    • Jan 2007

Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

Doug,

I had planned to attend your recital. Would love to hear you in "performance mode". But now it looks like I have to attend a funeral on Long Island Saturday. I wish you the very best.

BTW, my love for the euph has grown since you test-tooted my 2280. I may have another horn for you to try soon.

John

Comment

• carbogast
      • Mar 2006

I've had the pleasue of attending a first rate musical event this evening: Doug Ruby's euphonium recital in Hollis, NH.

There was Doug's beautiful vibrato and phrasing on the Horovoitz Concerto, and his evocation of voice, on the Apre un"Reve. And his adroit handling of the playful motifs in Pantomine and his cello-esqe tones in the Adagio from Concerto in C Minor by Henri Casadesus.

But I think that what transformed the recital into something really special was the inclusion of the Hollis/Brookline students who appeared as guest artists and performed at a high level on flute, trombone and voice. These performances were truly "delighters" and completely unexpected!

But there was more! Mike Milnarik joined Doug on Sanae Kanda's "Quasi Blues" duet. What gorgeous tones! And, I should not forget to mention Sanae Kanda's special contribution as Doug's accompianist. She posesses the skills of a good accompianist in abundance and greatly added to the depth and musicality of the pieces.

An added bonus for me was simply listening to Doug on his Besson 2051. Having spent the last week listening to Thomas Ruedi on his 642 ("Synthesis" CD), I was able to clearly discern in Doug's playing that"singing" tone that is associated with British euphoniums. Nice axe Doug!

Another forum member, Frank Manola, from Wilmington MA was also in attendance. It was a pleasure meeting you Frank!

All in all a very enjoyable evening. Congratulations Doug, on your performance and on presenting a great event!

- Carroll
      Carroll Arbogast
      Piano Technician
      CMA Piano Care

Comment

• fmanola
        • May 2008

I don't have much to add to what carbogast said (it was great to meet both you and Doug in person), except to say that Doug really filled the room with a wonderful sound, and there was a very nice turnout of students and friends as well. Congratulations Doug!

--Frank
        Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
        Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
        Park Street Brass
        Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
        Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
        Windjammers Unlimited

Comment

Working...
        X