Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

Originally posted by: daruby Dave, I am doing the 2nd movement at 76 for the 8th note.
    I believe that is a misprint. I spoke to Steven Mead about it when he played it with the Army Band (early 1990's). Horovitz was conducting that night. Mead said that, according to the composer, it was not supposed to be marked that slow.

Here is that performance:

Steven Mead, Horovitz Concerto, Horovitz Conducting

If memory serves, they do it faster than 76 in the 2nd mvt.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

David,

Many thanks. I have both the original 1972 and the 1991 Novello printing. Both are marked at 76 at the adagio. The 1991 printing indicates 84 at the poco piu moto. In fact in my recording of Steven Mead doing the 2nd mvt. from Euphonium Virtuoso he is averaging around 86-88 instead of 76 and the recording you pointed me to was just slightly slower. Both are a bit faster than 76 and the piu moto is around 90.

The really BIG difference between the 1st and 2nd printings is the 1st movement. In the 1st printing it starts at 72 and speeds up to 80 at the piu moto. In the 2nd printing it is marked at 86 and the piu moto was changed to an a tempo at 86. WOW! what a a change. I hadn't thought about this because I have used the original printing for years and only got the 2nd printing recently. Since it didn't have my penciled in notes, I have not been using it. Given that Mead was asked to perform the Concerto for the retrospective recording conducted by Horovitz last year and the Army band recording was also conducted by Horovitz, I am taking these tempi to the bank.

I will let my accompanist know about the change in tempi.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I don't like the revised edition/tempos at all and always use the first edition, especially after hearing the composer conduct Trevor Groom & the GUS Band in it's first recording.

I think he got it right first time. Particularly as I was instrumental (no pun intended) in getting the wind band version published, certainly the manuscript had the early tempo markings.

Just my thoughts tho'

CB

4. Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

Charlie,

Ah well....there it is. Unanimity of opinion. Each with a definitive background traced to the composer. Everyone I have spoken with over the last 2+ years re: the Concerto have all said pretty much the same thing:

"Joseph Horovitz was very explicit with his tempo and articulation markings and you should play it exactly the way he intended. As written".

This includes master classes with artists who studied the piece with the composer such as Adam Frey and Roland Froescher. Further, I have tried to listen to as many recordings as I could get my hands on, particularly those conducted by the composer. This includies a later Trevor Groom performance with the GUS Footwear band. I have not heard the original 1972 Royal Albert Hall performance, however.

Quite clearly the tempi for Mvt. 1 and Mvt. 2 in all of the recorded performances I have listened to are faster than the original markings. My assumption when I researched this is that Mr. Horovitz heard something in his head (and perhaps at the piano) when he composed this originally. Over the years, however, he must have changed his mind. Thus, the Mvt. 1 tempi in the 1991 score are faster. I will go with David and assume that it is to be played "as written" (in 1991) with some variation in Mvt. 2 tempo from the written eighth = 76.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Euphonium Recital - Saturday, May 9, 7:00P - Hollis, New Hampshire

Doug - I salute you for doing this for your high school, and it certainly looks like an outstanding program. Echoing others' thoughts: wish I could attend!

Would love to hear a recording - perhaps you could make them available for a modest fee, plust S&H, and give proceeds to the school.

May you be blessed in this special event,
    Monty W.

Doug,

I had planned to attend your recital. Would love to hear you in "performance mode". But now it looks like I have to attend a funeral on Long Island Saturday. I wish you the very best.

BTW, my love for the euph has grown since you test-tooted my 2280. I may have another horn for you to try soon.

John

I've had the pleasue of attending a first rate musical event this evening: Doug Ruby's euphonium recital in Hollis, NH.

There was Doug's beautiful vibrato and phrasing on the Horovoitz Concerto, and his evocation of voice, on the Apre un"Reve. And his adroit handling of the playful motifs in Pantomine and his cello-esqe tones in the Adagio from Concerto in C Minor by Henri Casadesus.

But I think that what transformed the recital into something really special was the inclusion of the Hollis/Brookline students who appeared as guest artists and performed at a high level on flute, trombone and voice. These performances were truly "delighters" and completely unexpected!

But there was more! Mike Milnarik joined Doug on Sanae Kanda's "Quasi Blues" duet. What gorgeous tones! And, I should not forget to mention Sanae Kanda's special contribution as Doug's accompianist. She posesses the skills of a good accompianist in abundance and greatly added to the depth and musicality of the pieces.

An added bonus for me was simply listening to Doug on his Besson 2051. Having spent the last week listening to Thomas Ruedi on his 642 ("Synthesis" CD), I was able to clearly discern in Doug's playing that"singing" tone that is associated with British euphoniums. Nice axe Doug!

Another forum member, Frank Manola, from Wilmington MA was also in attendance. It was a pleasure meeting you Frank!

All in all a very enjoyable evening. Congratulations Doug, on your performance and on presenting a great event!

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

I don't have much to add to what carbogast said (it was great to meet both you and Doug in person), except to say that Doug really filled the room with a wonderful sound, and there was a very nice turnout of students and friends as well. Congratulations Doug!

--Frank
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12