Thread: My Own Besson 967 on Ebay

My Own Besson 967 on Ebay

I thought it might be permitted to list my horn, due to my recent purchase of a Sterling Virtuoso.

Besson 967 (Silver) on eBay

Thanks,

Allen

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

This auction concluded successfully a week ago. The buyer, who apparently is a student preparing to go to college, expressed satisfaction with the horn and I'm delighted that he's happy with the horn.

My own recent purchase of a Sterling Virtuoso was serendipitous in that the huge box that the Sterling came in was used to ship my 967 to the buyer. I did have to reinforce the box with additional cardboard, but that went well.

A lot of peanuts and a few inexpensive pillows, along with wrapping the horn with bubble wrap and reinforcing the bell with more padding, ensured the safe arrival of the horn.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

It's great that it found a good home! I am auditioning new horns this summer and one of my concerns (other than paying for the new one) is finding a good home for my antique B&S Imperial, which I am very fond of despite it's faults. I have spoken to Custom Music and will have a "Standard" Sterling sent out, probably late this month.

Did you notice the apparent Craigslist scam involving your horn? Fsung picked up on it when a forum member inquired about the listing. The topic was "Used Besson BE 967 on the market".

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

4. My Own Besson 967 on Ebay

Carroll,

How antique is your Imperial? I might be interested....

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Doug,

IIRC, it's a Solbron (3-valve compensator) circa 1930.

My Imperial is *very* antique, circa 1928. It is a 4-valve compensating horn with a .580" bore, a medium shank receiver, and a 10 1/2" bell. It is a Boosey & Sons make, and so preceeds the Boosey & Hawkes era, but is clearly related to the later horns. As Felix mentioned, it is a "Solbron" Imperial.

Doug, if you are interested, even if only academically, I would be delighted to bring it and the Sterling up to NH when the Sterling is in for a tryout. I would love to compare to a 2051...

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

7. My Own Besson 967 on Ebay

Carroll,

Lets plan on it. I would like to try that Sterling in copmparison with your Imperial and my 2051 Prestige. We could meet at my school and use the band room....great acoustics

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Originally posted by: darubyWe could meet at my school and use the band room....great acoustics
    YES! A key factor in really judging an instrument like euphonium (or tuba) is getting to try it in a big room! I like to listen not just to the horn next to my ear, but also to the sound coming back from the room. That gives me a sense of how big the sound is and how it sounds to others.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Originally posted by: daruby

Carroll,

Lets plan on it. I would like to try that Sterling in copmparison with your Imperial and my 2051 Prestige. We could meet at my school and use the band room....great acoustics

Doug
    That will be a great opportunity - thanks! I'll keep in touch.

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care