Thread: Les Tubadours, Tuba Quartet

Les Tubadours, Tuba Quartet

David Werden just added three new videos to his video page of Les Tubadours, Tuba Quartet. Thomas Rüedi - Roland Fröscher are playing euphonium. Wow!! You should check this out. They are great!!

Link to euphonium videos
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Les Tubadours, Tuba Quartet

Rick,

This summer I will study with Roland Froescher for the third straight year at Mike Milnarik's Cosmopolitan Tuba and Euphonium Camp at Endicott College outside of Boston. He is a marvelous performer, wonderful teacher, and really nice person!

Doug

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I noticed in one of those video clips that Thomas Rüedi was using a trigger. I was surprised to see this because he normally plays a Yamaha-642. I emailed Mr. Rüedi and asked if he was now playing a different horn. He responded that he was playing his 642 in those videos but had added a main-slide trigger a few years ago. He also stated that he recently started playing on a Besson Prestige.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Rick - I say "Hooray" for a world where we have a few different choices of horns that come with triggers!! I thought about adding one to my Sovereign for years but never wanted to go to the trouble and possibly risk complications if I happened to choose one that does not work well with my horn.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've always been a huge fan of Thomas Ruedi's sound. Just listen to him at the 2:50 point in 'Old Legend.' Conventional wisdom is that Yamaha 642s just are not supposed to sound that good! It will be very interesting to hear his sound after switching to Besson.

Originally posted by: JTJ I've always been a huge fan of Thomas Ruedi's sound. Just listen to him at the 2:50 point in 'Old Legend.' Conventional wisdom is that Yamaha 642s just are not supposed to sound that good! It will be very interesting to hear his sound after switching to Besson.
    I think Thomas plays from his heart, and his heart is in the right place, musically speaking! I assume I would like his sound better on a British horn because they sound a bit warmer, but most of the warmth we hear is due to his great concept of music.

Check out my blog review of his CD's. In the review I said, "Ruedi accomplishes something rare among euphonium performers: he plays from the perspective of a person making music, not from that of a person thinking first about the challenges of the euphonium. Certainly his euphonium playing is up there with the best, but it is his musicianship that makes these recordings so satisfying."

Now we all need to hope for a new solo CD from him with the Besson euphonium so we can compare!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Les Tubadours, Tuba Quartet

I'd just like to add that Roland Froescher, who studied under Roger Bobo and Thomas Reudi,. has that same "play from the heart" musicianship thqat Dave refers to. The two of them together has got to be something to be seen in live performance.

Doug

Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band