X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat
    • Dec 2008

Slide grease

I tried to order some Fat Cat tuning slide grease from Woodwind and Brasswind and was informed that it can't be shipped via USPS to my APO address overseas because it is "hazardous material". Hmmm... Is there a decent substitute (like Vaseline) I can use while I try to find a brass instrument shop here in Italy and attempt to translate, "Do you carry slide grease?" into Italian?

Thanks,

Pat

Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Slide grease

You can use Vaseline if you can't find anything else. Thats what we all used years ago and it worked pretty well. It can be a little stiff though.

The product I use is Hetman's #7 (heavy grease), but I doubt you can find that in Italy. A frequent contributor in this forum - who goes by the handle 'Highams' and lives in England - had to order Hetman products through the internet and pay over seas shipping.

You could look for Super Lube gell or grease. It's sold around the World I understand. It works really well, but too well on a couple of my slides. The 2nd slide would almost fall out at times.

The 3oz tube looks like this:

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• WaltTrombone
      • Aug 2006

Slide grease

You can find Super Lube in bicycle shops probably a lot easier than you can find it in a music shop.

Comment

• fsung
        • Feb 2008

Slide grease

or a generic equivalent;

(any non-detergent motor oil);

(automotive bearing grease)

and forget about overpriced "slide greases."

Cheap, effective, and available darn near everywhere.

Comment

• knuxie
          • Dec 2005

Slide grease

Anhydrous lanolin.

It is water-based and can be found at any pharmacy.

Ken F.

Comment

• Eupher6
            • Mar 2009

Slide grease

Originally posted by: knuxie Anhydrous lanolin. It is water-based and can be found at any pharmacy. Ken F.
            Absolutely. A tub of that stuff cost me about $12 a number of years ago and I'll be dead long before I run out.

The good thing about anhydrous lanolin is that it will not "creep" into valves, causing stickiness and sluggishness. Vaseline, in particular, is noted for "creep" - or at least I had problems with it.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
            Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
            Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
            Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
            Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
            Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• fsung
              • Feb 2008

Slide grease

I have not used anhydrous lanolin so I can't speak from experience, but I have read several posts by reputable repair techs (like this one, for example) who warn that anhydrous lanolin can dry out, freezing the slides quite effectively.

I suspect that this would not be much of an issue if one were regularly cleaning and re-lubing the slides, but it does suggest that it would be prudent to clean the slides thoroughly (both inners and outers) if the horn will be sitting unplayed for any appreciable length of time.

Comment

• Eupher6
                • Mar 2009

Slide grease

When Lee Stofer says he had a problem, I can believe it. Lee and I both served in the Army at the same time, though not in the same band. He was as well-respected then as he is now.

Since I play my horns every day (euph and bass trombone, leaving my tenor trombone sitting there with a forlorn look most days), I don't have a problem with slides drying out.

I will admit, however, that anhydrous lanolin is pretty stiff stuff and I can see it drying out and becoming a problem. I wouldn't want to go through what Lee went through to extract the slides.

At the time I bought the anhydrous lanolin, some of those newer things weren't on the market. The choices were pretty much to use Vaseline (not an option for me), slide grease (still leery because of creep) or anhydrous lanolin (cheap and no creep). Let's see what the Hetman's will do.

U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
                Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
                Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
                Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
                Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
                Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• RickF
                  • Jan 2006

Slide grease

I've heard a number of folks swear by STP oil treatment as a good slide grease. I'm just not keen on the possibility of breathing in any of those vapors. I don't on purpose breathe in through my horn, but in taking a quick breath, I might get some through the horn.

There's a T-bone player that sits behind me that REALLY breathes in through his horn. I can hear this big 'whoosh' when he's getting ready to play a phrase.

I've been using Hetman's #7 slide grease for quite awhile without any complaints.
                  Rick Floyd
                  Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                  Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                  The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                  Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• rblockwood
                    • Aug 2008

Slide grease

I've been using SuperSlick (trombone hand slide cream) on my Besson 967 for quite a while with good results. I have no clue (or interest) in its chemical composition but have had no trouble with good creeping into the valves.

FWIW - YMMV.

Comment

• iRabb
                      • Oct 2008

Slide grease

For my money, the best is Schilke Slide Grease, but before I discovered that, I used gun grease. Comes in a tube, not expensive, plenty thick, good lubricity, and has additives that protect metal. I think I used Outers or Hoppes, but I don't think you will find much difference between brands.

Ben

Comment

• coeuphplayer
                        • Feb 2007

Slide grease

I've had great results with Fat Cat tuning slide grease

Comment

• majorchubbs
                          • May 2011

Slide grease

I have had good results with gun grease or the selmer red grease.

Comment

• iMav
                            • May 2011

Slide grease

Originally posted by: Pat I tried to order some Fat Cat tuning slide grease from Woodwind and Brasswind and was informed that it can't be shipped via USPS to my APO address overseas because it is "hazardous material". Hmmm... Is there a decent substitute (like Vaseline) I can use while I try to find a brass instrument shop here in Italy and attempt to translate, "Do you carry slide grease?" into Italian?
                            PM me your shipping address and I'll drop some in the mail for you.

Groups
                            Valley City Community Band
                            Valley City State University Concert Band
                            2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

Working...
                            X