Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TUSABTEC 2009

TUSABTEC 2009

Anyone else going?

If you haven't attended TUSABTEC in the past and you're undecided whether or not it will be worth it, do yourself a favor and make it a point to get there. I attended my first USABTEC last year, shortly after ending an extended layoff from playing any wind instrument. Here's what I wrote upon returning:

Originally posted by: fsung

I would strongly encourage you (and everyone else who has ever thought about attending the conference) to make it a point to get to the conference. You will NOT regret it! I can't recall ever having had as much fun or learning as much at a conference of any kind, or being more motivated to get back and start putting into practice what I learned.

As a strictly amateur, middle-of-the pack, intermediate level player, I debated up until the last minute whether it would be worth my while to make the trip.

There's a very fine line between inspiration and demoralization, and having only resumed playing this past October, after 28 years of not blowing a note, I was concerned that I would be in so far over my head among all the world-class players, professionals, and aspiring professionals who would be at the conference that I would feel out of place, and wondered whether being surrounded by and listening to all that skill and talent would be discouraging rather than inspiring.

I can honestly say that at no point was I made to feel like was out of my depth (even though I clearly was), or like I didn't belong; and that, without exception, the people I met and talked with, from the instantly recognizable to the anonymous, were welcoming and generous with their time, encouragement, and, when asked, suggestions for improving my playing.

In addition to having the chance to try almost every comp euph I've wanted to try (the only one I didn't get to try was the Yamaha 642, which wasn't available), personal highlights include:

The Original (1983) Military Band Tuba-Euph Ensemble recital: although I graduated from college the year of the inaugural USABTEC, growing up about an hour from DC, these were the folks I looked to throughout HS and into college as examples of how a euphonium should sound. Having the opportunity to see and hear those heroes of my youth performing together and to meet many of them was a real treat.

The Inter-Service Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble's performance of the main title theme from Star Wars. Talk about a sensory experience: You haven't lived until you've experienced 85 euphs and tubas belting out a fanfare!

Having the opportunity to handle and play a few notes on Dr. Werden's Sterling Virtuoso at the Custom Music stand! (Thanks, Dr. Werden.)

TUSABTEC 2009

Is there a website?

TUSABTEC 2009

Originally posted by: 2MuchTone Is there a website?
    Army Band Tuba-Euphonium Conference

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

TUSABTEC 2009

I would like to make the drive down but I have a youth retreat with my church.

Maybe next time...

TUSABTEC 2009

I'll have a table there. Hope to see many of you there.

Ken Friedrich

6. TUSABTEC 2009

I will more than likely also be attending. This trip is kind of to get a mouthpiece because of the wide array of everything euphonium and tuba.

TUSABTEC 2009

I'll be going! Some day it would be cool to organize some sort of forum get together. Several of the Tubenetters get together...Several years ago, I met up and chatted with them and they were cool, but nearly all of them were primarily tubists, and the discussion centered around tubas, not surprisingly. No one wanted to talk shop about euphoniums.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

TUSABTEC 2009

Euphdude, that's a great idea. Anyone up for a Friday night post-concert pizza & (wobbly) pop pow-wow?

By the way, I'll be assisting at the Custom Music booth on Friday and Saturday. Drop by and say hello (and check out the wares).

TUSABTEC 2009

I had the best time there last year, you'll be silly to miss it!

Hope you all have a great time.

CB

TUSABTEC 2009

Anyone up for a Friday night post-concert pizza & (wobbly) pop pow-wow?
    I'm absolutely available for pizza, etc. in between the close of the exhibits and the evening concerts on Friday or Saturday. I'll look you up at the Custom Booth.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast