Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TUSABTEC 2009

1. TUSABTEC 2009

Uggh... I wish that I could make it down! I haven't had the privilege of attending TUSABTEC yet, which has been mostly due to my lack of financial resources as a college student. Oh well, I will be sure to listen to the live broadcast on the TUSABTEC website. For all those that are going to the conference, have fun and enjoy the wonderful music!

On a side note... Euphdude, I really like your new avatar, what are the mouthpieces shown in the picture?
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

TUSABTEC 2009

Hey Greg,

Those are Bach Megatone mouthpieces. As I said in another thread, until two weeks ago, I had never tried a Bach mouthpiece on the euphonium. They are really nice pieces!

I know that Tormod Flaten plays a 4G on his Besson...although I don't think he uses the Megatone. With my lighter weight Bessons, the Megatone seems to be a better match than the standard weight.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

TUSABTEC 2009

I just read this notice on the TUSABTEC site:

In the event that Arlington County School are closed due to inclement weather on Wednesday, January 28, the Canadian Brass concert at Kenmore Middle School will be moved to Brucker Hall at Ft. Myer, VA.

Arlington County Schools Home Page
    The United States Army Band Tuba-Euphonium Conference
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

TUSABTEC 2009

Thanks for the heads up Rick! I am planning on attending tonight, so this is good to know.

As an aside, I have never made it out to that Kenmore auditorium. All of the concerts I attended last year were in Brucker Hall.
    - Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

TUSABTEC 2009

You can watch some of the TUSAB Tuba-Euphonium Conference live using quicktime player. Just visit this site and follow the links (video or audio). Coming up next is the Canadian Brass.

The United States Army Band Tuba-Euphonium Conference
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

TUSABTEC 2009

WOW! Another GREAT conference.

Last year's conference - my first - was such a highlight for me that it's hard to imagine another conference measuring up, but this year's conference raised the bar another notch.

Non-performance highlights included:

- meeting forum members knuxie (Ken Friedrich) and euphdude (Scott Furness): I look forward to hooking up with you guys at next year's conference or one of the regional ITECs;

- play-testing the new models (Miraphone 5050, Meinl-Weston 751 Phoenix, Willson Celebration 2650) since last year's conference, as well as the Hirsbrunner Stealth (which wasn't displayed last year) and many of the "standards" (Prestige, Sovereign, Eminence, Willson 2900 and 2950, Hirsbrunner Exclusive, etc.), several different mouthpieces, and the Meinl-Weston travel F-tuba (52cm/20.5" long (!); and, yes, it plays and like a tuba rather than euph);

- play-testing Scott's Schiller comp euph (review forthcoming);

- chatting with folks who stopped by the Custom Music booth and watching their reactions to the Hirsbrunner Stealth and as they tried out the Sterling Excalibur (rimless bell): one student in particular was so taken by the sound and response that his prof said if he was going to spend any more time with it, he'd have to marry it ;

- talking shop and picking up tips and pointers from both "the greats" of the euph/tuba and fellow enthusiasts;

The musical performances I heard were uniformly excellent. For me, the most memorable was Air Force tubaist MSgt. Christopher Quade's performance (from memory) of Jan Koetsier's Concertino, particularlly the second movement (Romanza e Schezino), which was dedicated to a former AF band colleague whose name escapes me (I can't find my notes at the moment) who passed away recently.

The topper for me, however, was the acquisition of this 1918 Conn five valve double bell euph with an second set of bells (details on the horn here). I've wanted a double-bell euph since I first started playing in 1969, so to acquire one in that is not just playable, but with good sound and intonation and in fine physical, mechanical and cosmetic condition for less than many of the recent e-bay offerings, is a dream come true. Thanks, Sam!

Once again, I come away from the conference inspired to practice and to improve, and mostly, to enjoy the opportunity to make music. I said after the conference last year and will say it again: for anyone who hasn't attended a USABTEC, you need to make it a point to get there, even if it's only for one or two days. TUSABTEC is on my calendar for 2010. I look forward to renewing acquaintances with some of you and meeting a lot more of you there!

TUSABTEC 2009

I also had a great time at this year's TUSABTEC, including getting to meet and hang out with Felix and Ken.

At the exhibits, I didn't spend that much time with the instruments on display and concentrated on getting new repetoire for soloing in church. Of the instruments I tried, by far the most fascinating to me was the Miraphone 5050...what a great axe! By far the most freeblowing instrument I've ever come across. It had a huge dark sound, and I can see why John uses a lighter sounding mouthpiece with it. I briefly tried the Willson 2960 euphonium, and it seemed to be a more centered, faster responding 2950. The rep at the display said to expect to pay $1000 more than the regular 2900/2950 for this model! I played the Phoenix Meinl Weston and it felt a little stuffy to me, especially compared to the Besson Prestige 2052 that the Brasswind had on display. I did two head-to-head comparisons of the Besson Prestige and York Eminence euphs. At the Brasswind display, the Prestige was clearly better and the Eminence felt extremely stuffy. At the Dillon display I thought these two were overall about the same, so that comparison yielded a draw IMO. At the Sterling display, I enjoyed playing the rimless Virtuoso...it was so easy to play and very fast responding! Don't know how it would hold up to higher volumes, which I didn't test. I also played the basic Sterling model...labeled as a Virtuoso, but Felix said this was the non-customized version. I thought it played well and had a nice sound but it was just a touch stuffy for my tastes. As Felix pointed out, you probably will see more variations in the Sterlings since these are more handmade than nearly all of the others. I thought the Dillon and MM Chinese compensators were FAR stuffier than my Schiller. I was hoping to be able to try other 1.5G sized mouthpieces, including a Heritage 2AL, but none were there...from all I've read of the reviews of the Heritage, I'm 90% sure it probably it wouldn't be a good match for my Bessons, but it would be nice to verify.

I was only able to attend the Friday evening and Saturday concerts, but I can't even begin to describe the incredible performances I heard. The level of euphonium performances has been further raised...Tormod Flaten, Danny Helseth, Matthew Murchison, Roger Behrend, Dean Miller, Lauren Veronie (still can't believe she has only been in the band 5 months!), Adam Lessard (only been in TUSAB for a year)...to just name a few. And the Oystein Baadsvik performance at the grand concert was...breathtaking. I don't get into tuba performances nearly as much as I do with the euphonium, but I was truly touched by his performance.

I can't WAIT for next year!

- Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

TUSABTEC 2009

BTW, Felix, congrats on the acquisition of your new DB euph! That one looks so cool! If it plays half as good as it looks you got yourself a winner!
    - Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

TUSABTEC 2009

Yes, it was a fun time in DC. My only regret was missing pizza with TD and FS and the long drive home. Maybe next time guys.

Ken F.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12