Thread: Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

Does the Tuba Arban's Method have anything worth the $40-50 price tag if you already have the trombone version? It's a fairly large investment, and I'd like to know before I purchase it. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

I have the tuba version. My teacher swears by the trombone version. He says that they changed some of the keys to be more "tuba friendly" and messed up some of the actual "method."

I like not having to read down the octave though.

Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

Alright. Thanks. I'll stick with my trombone version. Having the convenience of down an octave isn't worth $50 to me. =P

4. Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

I would have to totally and utterly disagree. The tuba version is situated perfectly in the register for the C tuba, and not bad for the Bb tuba. None of my students are using the trombone version anymore; mainly because a tuba isn't a trombone.....

The Arban for Tuba is exactly what it says it is. It's a damn sight more true to the trumpet Arban, i.e. the original, than the trombone version (Fischer edition) is, in terms of tuba playing, and in terms of maintaining fingering patterns.
    Sure it ain't the be-all-and-end-all of tuba playing, but no one book is. If you want fancy fast fingers, and fancy fast chops, then the tuba Arban is the book.
    Why spend mental energy reading down the octave? Of course, you could play it at trombone pitch, we all could, but then why bother being a tuba player if you're playing in the trombone register.....?

5. Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

and from where I live, the price wasn't fifty odd bucks, it was more like $120 to land it, and neither I, nor my students regret that cost!

6. Tuba Arban's Method, Any good?

Exactly what I say, the convenience doesn't convenience me