Thread: Sterling Virtuoso - New Model Line-Up

Sterling Virtuoso - New Model Line-Up

This is a follow-up to a previous post where I hinted at a Sterling model with a lower price tag. I now have the full scoop from Paul at Sterling. We were concerned that some people may be ruling out Sterling because they feel they can not afford the high price. So Paul has tweaked the way the horns are priced.

As you may know, Sterling offers many options. But some of these were rolled into the list price and the horn was sold that way as a standard model. Now Paul has configured a more basic model as a starting point, which helps it be more affordable. The base model is somewhat comparable to many of the horns that people feel are more affordable. For example, the base model will have a 12" yellow brass bell, no trigger, and no gold trim. This makes it more like a Besson 967, Willson, Yamaha 642, etc. But you will still enjoy many of the Sterling qualities. Intonation and response, for example, should be the same as the "tricked-out" model I play. My preference is for the heavier red-brass bell, but that is not what the competitive horns come with, and there are many players who prefer the sound of the regular bell anyway.

It looks like Paul has come up with a good way to handle the line-up. I don't yet have the base price from Custom Music for the USA market, but it should be easier on the pocket book!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Dave, that's a welcome development. And if Sterling & Custom can get the retail under $6K, I suspect they can sell all they can make.

I know I would be interested.

John

3. Sterling Virtuoso - New Model Line-Up

I spent Midwest at the custom music booth with the Sterlings, and played this new version against the higher priced model with the same bell. Sounded and felt exactly the same to me, thought I have to admit I've grown used to the whole gold trim thing, even thought in the back of my brain I know it doesn't make any difference. I don't think any pro horn made in Europe is going to be under $6K until the value of the dollar increases against the euro. Sterling, Hirsbrunner, Willson, Miraphone are all currently over 7K, and Meinl, York, and Besson are all over 6K. At least they're cheaper than Inderbinen, which I believe will set you back 8600 EUROS! (I'll let you figure out just how many dollars that is. Hint: you can get a PT6 tuba AND a Besson euph for the same price)
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

These currency issues are tricky. The GBP has fallen to about $1.50 from around a high of around $2.00, which should give American purchasers a break. And the GBP has fallen off a cliff relative to the euro in the last couple of months, going from roughly .80 GBP per euro to trading almost 1 to 1 with the euro, whereas the dollar has not moved nearly as much.

For better or worse, a couple of internet sites effectively set euphonium prices. I do think the sweet spot is $6K. Horn Guys lists the Miraphone 5050 without a trigger at $5,995. The York Emminence lists for $6,070 at WWBW, but they run so many specials and discounts that a smart buyer can do better. And the triggerless Yorks are even less. The Besson Sovereign is under $6K at WWBW as are older Miraphones and Meinl Westons, except for the not yet introduced 751. Aside from the boutique horns, I think only Willson consistently sells for over $6K. The Japanese currency officials work hard to keep the yen trading cheap to the dollar which helps Yamaha establish a lower price floor for their 842, which has never been over the mid $5s.

But Sterling is not mass merchandised, and they have successfully maintained a premium price relative to almost all other instruments, so they may well be able to sell a basic model at a higher price than the others. I hope so, because the Sterling is a special horn, and their business model may require a little more margin at each step of the process.

5. Sterling Virtuoso - New Model Line-Up

I was looking at prices at ww/bw. they have the miraphone 5050 w/o the trigger for $6979, and the willson 2900 for $7800. The hirsbrunners are now right at $8000, same as Sterling (per custom music). The miraphone price at hornguys is a real steal!
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Originally posted by: cochranme
    Sounded and felt exactly the same to me, thought I have to admit I've grown used to the whole gold trim thing, even thought in the back of my brain I know it doesn't make any difference.
    At least not in a direct sense, acoustically.

Ultimately, of course, what matters is not the visual aesthetic but the sound coming out of the bell, but for me, the aesthetics of the Virtuoso (not just the gold on silver, but also the balance visually between the two - a balance, that, IMO, only the 842 also achieves) is both part of what attracted me to the Sterling in the first place and part of what continues to inspire me strive to raise the level of my playing to a similarly high level as that of the visual aesthetic.

Originally posted by: fsung ...part of what continues to inspire me strive to raise the level of my playing to a similarly high level as that of the visual aesthetic.
    I know what you mean. We can but pity some of the poor, misguided French horn and tuba players who like to play on bare brass instruments with all the shine and patina of fine cardboard!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium